What's new

SVS driver, can it be used in front firing enclosure? (1 Viewer)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I would like to make use of my old SVS driver since the new one is on the way. I was wondering if it would work in my B&W AS6 enclosure. It also uses a 12" driver but the B&W is only rated to go to 40hz and is front-firing. Is the 40hz rating a byproduct of the ported enclosure or is it simply related to the B&W driver capability?
Would the SVS driver produce more extension than the B&W driver? :) Tom would know, I'm sure.

Ian_B

Auditioning
good question, I too have been thinking of using my old SVS driver in a front firing config. I think I read somewhere that they might sound worse however, as cabinets are designed for the woofs they have. Don't know for sure though, hope someone else can answer this one.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Putting a driver (any driver) in a random cabinet not designed specifically for it will more often than not produce poor results.

Would the SVS driver produce more extension than the B&W driver? Tom would know, I'm sure.
Can the SVS driver go lower than 40hz? I'm certain of it. In the B&W enclosure? Without any sort of measurements (size of cabinet, diameter and length of the port, T/S parameters of the SVS driver) it is hard to say. Probably would but in the end I would bet it's not worth it.

Unless you feel like building an SVS clone you'd probably be better off sending in the driver and getting $X back.

Dan Hine

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Build your own enclosure for it. Just use the same volume as the SVS tube(liters), same port size/length, and there you go.

Frank, you live in Santa Clara? So do I. If you want to experiment, let me know. I'll help you out if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks