What's new

SVS amplification options (1 Viewer)

GaryMore

Grip
Hi all,
I have a 20-39CS, and am awaiting my driver upgrade... can't wait to add the new driver!
Currently, I'm powering my SVS with a late 70's model Kenwood KR-9600 receiver, 200 wpc, which gets the LFE output from a Denon 2801... the receiver is old (obviously), and sometimes has contact problem with the older rocker switches. I'd really like to consider something more powerful and smaller, and have looked at the Sampson amps, but am worried that the impedance issue has been linked to my current Denon 2801 receiver.
I've considered some monoblock designs, as I don't think I'll go dual SVS for a long time, if ever... can you guys recommend some amplifier options for me? Thanks :)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Gary,

We don't need to sell any more Samsons by giving out bad advice. I had the Denon 2700, Samson S-700 and a CS sub and had zero issues on level matching. Of the thousands of CS/Samson combo's we've sold, I think maybe we've had a half dozen cases where level matching could have been an issue.

In other words your concerns are fair, but unfounded. There is not another (new) amp that I could say works better in a HT environment (or else we'd be probably selling that!).

I'm now using the same amp and a Denon 3802, still no problems. If this sounds like I'm confident you too would have no problems you are right. This is NOT to say there are not dozens, if not hundreds of other options besides a Samson.

Ron

GaryMore

Grip
Thanks for addressing my concerns Ron, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do at this point as I'm not in any big rush or anything... but the big 70's receiver has to go :)
After the customer service I've already received from you guys, the Sampson is still probably #1 on my short list :)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I think someone is selling a Marantz MA700 monoblock in the hardware for sale area.

Or you can get a plate amp at partsexpress for a good price.

Those NHT mono sub amps are good too (but a little expensive for what you get).

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I wouldn't recommend plate amps from the standpoint that most have bass boost built in and unless removed I think this would be a step back. I'd advise a good 2-channel amp from the likes of Adcom (5500/555) on the used market as an excellent buy since you can have the choice to use the free channel for your center or use it as an excuse for another sub so it won't go to "waste".

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The PE 250W plate amps (300-793 and 300-794) now have the boost disabled. There are also instructions available for customizing the boost. The 120W (300-792) has boost enabled (something like 6dB at 30Hz) but can be modified to customize or eliminate the boost. I'm not aware of a 375W plate amp at Parts Express.

tom j r

Agent
TV,

You recently referred me to MCM for a 350 watt plate amp, part number is 50-6282. Price is listed as $189 but you could get 10% off referencing coupon code OC24. If that one has expired, I think there is a 5% coupon, code OC27.

I have seen elsewhere in the forum where this amp puts out closer to 400 watts @ 4 ohms. It appears to be the same amp as Stryke's AMP350 except the MCM amp has remote control for the crossover frequency and volume (Stryke sells theirs for $200 on sale now). A previous response in this thread gives directions for adjusting/disabling the bass boost.

While I have had a small problem with my amp (not turning off) and am returning it, MCM has quickly responded to my request for return authorization and is sending a replacement while I ship mine back to them.

Hope this helps.

Tom

GaryMore

Grip
I really like the looks of the Sampson amps, and probably will get one, as it matches the look of most of my system... a question did occur though, do they have remote control?
Thanks for the replies guys :)
Tom, any update when the next batch of driver upgrades will ship?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks