What's new

SVHS? (1 Viewer)

Alan Ross

Agent
My 10 year old JVC VCR died last weekend, so I need to get a new VCR. I am thinking of getting a SVHS machine for extra resolution. The last VCR was used mostly with a 31" monitor, the new one will be used with a 61" RPTV and a front projector. I don't own a camcoder, so editing facilities are not important. The VCR will be used mostly for time shifting and occasional archiving. I would like to keep the price under $400, the lower the better. I belive my choses are JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic and Sharp.

So, I'd like to know if there is a clear "best buy" out there? Also, is there a picture quality difference between, say JVC's HR-S3900U, HR-S5900U, HR-S7900U and HR-S9900U or is the difference mainly in features?

Any help is appreciated since it's been 10 years since I shopped for a VCR.

Keith_G

Auditioning
Alan,

I can easily recommend the JVC HRS7*** series, as I have used a 7600 for a year now doing time-shift and archive.

I use SHVS tape (not modified VHS) and have had no loss of tape quality.

The built-in buffer/Jitter-reduction cleans up noisy recordings quite nicely and stabilizes the picture very well (even on some poor cable broadcasts).

Looks like the JVC 7900 is around the $250 mark.

Or consider the Tivo/Replay route...but that's outside your price when you include programming fees.

Keith

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I second the recommendation for a Replay TV or Tivo especially since you are going to be using it primarily for time shifting. While you are out looking for a VCR take a look at the Tivo and Replay TV units.

Parker

Alan Ross

Agent
Thanks Keith and Parker, I will probably get a satellite receiver with Tivo, but I still need a VCR. I have a small collection of tapes I'd like to watch again. Also, my ex-wife frequently asks me to record stuff for her (technofobia), and I am too nice to refuse:)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
One more comment. Some VCRs, such as the JVC HR-S3800U (less than $200 as I recall) can record and playback:

1. VHS on VHS tape

2. Super-VHS ET on VHS tape, and

3. Super-VHS on Super-VHS tape

In addition, presumably it could do #3 on altered-VHS tape, although I haven't tried that.

My results using #2 are lousy, and I've seen similar reports here. But, at only around $6 for a Super-VHS tape, I use it that way mostly.

An advantage of any VCR over a DVR is that you can save the programs for a long time. DVRs fill up eventually.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Alan,

You're right. Even though the HD recorders are neat, you still will probably want/need a VCR. I expect the folks who were recommending the HD units weren't thinking about that. I think Crutchfield still has the JVC 4800 on closeout for $169. I have a 10 year old Mistubishi that stopped playing and recording S-VHS, so I have been looking around as well. The one thing I noticed is that most models these days don't have manual volume controls. Most of them use ALC, which I don't think I want. The JVC 98/9900 do have manual volume controls. You can get them from etronics for $400 or less delivered, plus it had digital Y/C separation and I imagine the picture is pretty good. Those are the ones I have been leaning toward.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I just got a flyer in the mail today from J&R (JandR.com) listing the HR-S9800 for $329.99. This is a great VCR and that is a great price. The flyer was sent to preferred customers, but I would be surprised if they wouldn't give that price to anyone who calls them. The 9800 will give a small video improvement over the 7800/7900 series and has a ghost-reduction tuner for TV viewing. It also has other convenience and editing features (such as jog-shuttle remote). Personally I would avoid the 3000/4000/5000 series players and go with at least the 7800 or higher series. The TBC circuit and digital noise reduction features offer a big boost in picture quality. These VCRs are also DVD friendly (can route DVD player through them to the TV, though they don't eliminate macrovision for making copies).

I second what Jay said, I have two s vhs players and the

JVC tuner and filter is superior, especially noticeable

on larger screens, with the money you spent getting into

a nice set, why short yourself with support equipment?

If the budget is tight, look for a 9000 series refurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks