What's new

SVHS Deck Recommendation (1 Viewer)

RobCurry

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Curry
Hi there,

This is first post on this forum, but hopefully not my last. Basically I am about to set-out working as a freelancer, with the bulk of my work focussed on Digital Restoration work.

I have an initial budget for £2000 (approx $3700) on which to make an initial investment in new computer equipment and video decks. I want to build a strong core-unit, such that as when work picks up, I can reinvest and *add* to the system (i.e. with more decks and maybe even film scanning equipment at some stage), rather than upgrade.

My initial line of work will probably be centred around digitizing old (S)VHS tapes and transferring mini-DV tape onto DVD. Any work that may come in on other formats, I will have to digitize via others, or leave until I have the finance to buy the relevant decks myself.

Anway... this post is basically aimed at ascertaining a high quality SVHS deck. Obviously, I need something that is available in the UK. My initial research suggets an SVHS deck, with its multiple heads will drain the most quality out of an old VHS tape and - with a suitable capture card - maximize the quality of the digitization as close to the source as possible.

What is recommended?

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Get a professional deck with all the trimmings, jog-shuttle, sync in, time-base corrector, &c. You'll never regret it. As for models, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
A Panasonic or JVC professional SVHS VCR might be a good choice. The Panasonic AG-1980 if the UK Panasonic division still has some available.

Chris

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The JVC 9000 series have everything you need including DNR to clean the picture up. I have a vintage 7600 and still love it. I use it for time shifting occasionally but I think that might even get a little less work when I get a DVD recorder.

RobCurry

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Curry

Couldn't seem to find the SVHS recommendation on videohelp.com though I did find a similar one on digitialfaq. JVC and Panasonic seem to have discontinued there pro S-VHS models over the last year. I can't find any resellers holding stock. Not so keen buying second hand due to wear on heads, though I did find a couple of new items on eBay that I could import from Hong Kong:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200004818948

It's the HR-DVS1EK. Does anybody know if this item includes TBC, DNR, edge enhancement or video calibration for playback of VHS and S-VHS tapes?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200010229802

This is the JVC HM-DR10000EK. This does include TBC and DNR at least. Anyone know if this offers edge enhancement or video calibration? Does the price seem a bit hefty (I live in the UK)?

Any thoughts would be greately appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks