SV12 replacement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cliff*L, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Cliff*L

Cliff*L Auditioning

Hey folks, quick question for ya. I have an ACI Titan sub I built a few years back. It's been a great sub, but recently I damaged the surround on the woofer. I was thinking this may be an opportunity to upgrade the unit (woofer) with something a bit more modern.

The cabinet I believe is 1.9 cubic feet. I will use the original amp - 250 watts ( into 8 ohms?).

I'm hoping to retain the sound quality of the original, with a bit more down low. It looks like the Atlas 12 would be a perfect fit. Works in a smallish sealed, and is reportedly fairly efficient.

I'm also considering TC Sounds TC2+, Stryke's AV12, and the Titanic MKIII (this one maybe a bit power hungry though?). Any thouhgts on this?

I can get the original SV12 from Meniscus, but for the same price I can get the Atlas, a little more for the others. Seems like a no-brainer . . . whaddya think?

Thanks for reading.

Cliff

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Cliff,

Is this the Titan or the Titan II? The ACI amp has some proprietary circuitry that makes simply swapping out for another driver a hit or miss proposition. I'd suggest either getting the replacement SV12 from Meniscus (assuming it actually is a replacement) or contact ACI for a replacement driver. I'm sure Mike Dzurko will get you up and running again.

3. Cliff*L

Cliff*L Auditioning

Hi Brian,

It's a Titan II. Yeah, I know there's some type of limiting circuitry on the amp. Being a layperson, I never really understood how it worked.

Of course I'm floating this idea because I already have the cabinet and amp, and that darned Atlas is only $145! It's probably wishful thinking that I could upgrade for such a small amount. . . gotta control that bug.

Surprisingly the SV12's surround is quite resilient. It looked to be permanently deformed from an object that was lodged under the speaker, but a couple days sitting on it's side and it's pretty much regained it's shape. No holes, so it may be ok. Played it, sounds fine.

I should probably abandon the idea; and when the time comes build something a little more substantial for LFE. . . and I suspect it will cost more than a $145 dollars too!![​IMG]

Thanks Brian.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Cliff,

No problem. The circuitry in the amp is more than just limiting. I've built several subs with the SV12 back when ACI still sold to the DIY crowd and I can tell you there's no way that you could put that driver in such a small enclosure and get that type of extension without having some circuitry to extend the low end and lower the Q. From what I remember, Mike called it "negative impedance" or something.

Glad the driver seems to be in good shape. If you have any problems don't hesitate to email Mike.