What's new

Survivor: Pearl Islands (1 Viewer)

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion of Andrew has gone way up since last night. I never liked him much, thought he was a piss poor leader, devisive, and sometimes petty (what was his beef with skinny Ryan anyway?). However, he won last nights challenge on sheer will power alone.

And I agree that Jonny Jackass, though pathetic and annoying, keeps the show more interesting.

My wish list for winners right now would be:

Rupert
Andrew
Christa
Ryan O.
Sandra

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Oh man, I was laughing out loud when Christa oulasted Osten in the lifting challenge.
Ole, Johnny Fairplay had quite the stunned look on his face when the final vote was read at the tribal council.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I loved it when Rupert said he knew for a fact that half the tribe wanted him out and they cut to Trish and her eyes got about as wide as saucers. Trish should have a good career as a polititian the way she said "I had no idea the felt that way" which was the total truth but covering for the fact that she gave him reason to feel that way. Very funny TC.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I loved the look on Jon's face after it was revealed that Trish was voted out...he was literally thinking "OH SH*T. I AM SCREWED."
The look was especially hilarious juxtaposed with the cock-o'-the-walk demeanor he was sporting as he went up to vote and make his comments. By trying to play the end game before Sandra was ready for it, Trish & John basically just turned Shawn from a loser to a likely jury member if not finalist.

Regards,

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
No one could get that body without hard work and I don't think Osten has done much of that in his life.
I have to disagree with these statements.

1. Creatine is not equal to a steroid at all. Two completely different things.

2. Even with anabolics, a person would still have to work hard and have dedication to achieve what Osten has done. Steroids just help your body recover faster (meaning you can lift weights for a longer period of time, and 7 days a week without wearing out your central nervous system), and increase its ability to utilize protein. There are also ones that help shedding the fat too. They are not miracle drugs that will pack on the muscle with no work though.

Muscle without much strength gain comes from lifting lighter weights, but for more repititions. It's the way most BB lift as it also adds in a cardio effect to assist with getting rid of the fat. I would estimate Osten at being ~8% bodyfat, no easy task in and of itself.

Given all that, Osten is still a wuss. He has a quitter's mentality, and gives up way to easily. He just can't hack it.

Chris

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I loved the look on Jon's face after it was revealed that Trish was voted out...he was literally thinking "OH SH*T. I AM SCREWED."
That look on Jon's face was priceless! I rewound the TIVO a couple of times just to see it again. :D

Sandra did the smart thing by telling Christa about Trish and Jon's plan to get rid of Rupert. By doing that, she saved the tribe. They wouldn't win any challenges or have any food without Rupert.

Osten...what more can I say about him? I agree with all of the comments here. He's WEAK in every way.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And speaking of weak, did anybody else attribute a part of Drake’s loss to Jon being so weak that they had to put up a female in a basic strength contest?

Christa has my admiration for doing as well as she did. But she was at a disadvantage in not having the upper body strength of the bigger men—Osten does not count, because regardless of how strong he is, he does not have the will to compete in almost any challenge.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
What do I need to watch the Survivor preview? For whatever reason, it won't play for me and it doesn't tell me what I need to play it.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
And speaking of weak, did anybody else attribute a part of Drake’s loss to Jon being so weak that they had to put up a female in a basic strength contest?
I made that exact same comment to my wife while watching the show. Drake probably wished that they'd have kept Burton right about that time.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Chris M, I do not want to get into a debate here about muscle building but I do want to clarify a few things.

1. Steroids make it easier to build muscle.
2. Creatine makes it easier to build muscle.
3. You MUST still lift, but these two things make it easier.
4. There is no way anyone built big muscles by lifting light weight for many repititions. Big muscles are only built by lifting heavy or with the aid of some supplement/drug.
5. I have been lifting hard for two years now with no supplements/drugs and I have become pretty strong. I have seen folks who with the aid of supplements and drugs look like Osten but have no strength.
6. With a body like Osten's balancing 175lbs on your traps should be easy even if your body is deprived. I squat 585 and I can't see BALANCING 175lbs ON MY TRAPS for a little while to be a problem. ESPECIALLY IF SOME GIRL ENDED UP DOING IT AS WELL!!!

Last, building muscle is all about mental toughness, dedication and attitude. Big muscles don't come easy. It just seems to me that Osten's work ethic is terrible. I can not see how anyone with his work ethic could build a body like that without some obvious use of supplements/drugs.

Many props to Savage and the girl for showing some mental toughness. I just want to smack the friggin crap out of Osten.

djb

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I think it's highly possible that Osten did nothing at all to get his body to look like that. I knew a guy that looked very similar to him, and he was one of the laziest guys I've ever known. He never lifted weights, sat on the couch and ate McD's most the time. Some people are just born lucky.

I was laughing my ass off last night when he was so scared of that pelican. What a complete and total wuss! I would have acted just like Ryan and been making friends with it.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with DJB, and want to add that genetics play a huge roll in how big your muscles become and how low your body fat is. It is possible that a "Hard Gainer" could work very hard and get very strong, while looking much less developed than Ostin. On the other hand, genetically, if Ostin was born with long muscle bellies, he could develop the size he has very easily with little work even without the addition of steroids.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Diallo, maybe I was confusing, but I never meant to make it seem like Osten didn't have some 'help'. I just wanted to clear up that steroids did not magically put on the muscle, there still had to be some work there. And by lighter weights, I meant lifting in the 10-12 rep range and never going heavy into the 5 or so rep range. I know people who have put on mass in that range.

However,

I knew a guy that looked very similar to him, and he was one of the laziest guys I've ever known. He never lifted weights, sat on the couch and ate McD's most the time. Some people are just born lucky.
I work with a guy like this. If he dropped his bodyfat, he would be more muscular than Osten, just shorter. He claims to have never lifted, and this was confirmed by people that knew him since grade school. I don't know if he would be considered lazy though, he does alot of auto work and home type building. It could very well be that Osten never lifted, or never lifted much.

Chris

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Spoilers for the twist:

Actually I believe the voted off contestants return as a third "Ghost" tribe and compete against the other two tribes. If you see the preview, the third tribe wears purple buffs. What are the consequences of this challenge is unsure, though.

It's been highly rumored for quite some time that one or some voted off contestants return to the game. Remember the not-so-subtle foreshadowing of Lil's refused-to-snuff torch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks