What's new

Survivor 34-CBS (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Viewing this week's episode, I just couldn't walk away without totally hating Sandra, Michaela and Debbie.

Those are my three most wanted to be voted out (in that order).

Great read, Hanson, as always!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same thing while watching this episode in that she was spitting out "alternative facts". :huh: After her tantrum I too thought, Wow, what a psycho!

I have watched every season and I don't know why I continue to watch as I also believe the show has gotten a bit soft and "easy" as far as it feels mostly like a social drama game anymore. But I line up each season because I still enjoy the politics involved with being duplicitous in that one has to work together with a team while always knowing that at the end of the day (three days?) someone is going to be voted out of the group.

And is it just me or am I the only one after all of these seasons that still wants to see one take place in a winter environment? Logistics be damned because before this show is over they need to try it at least once as the island setting has lost its luster. :wacko:

Also, I'll throw in that I have no idea how Sandra is still there. After winning twice before she should have been voted out first. Will these people never learn?

I remember the Australia and Africa episodes, but ever since, always tropical islands, warm and comfy, maybe some rain once in a while to stir up the whiners.

Shake things up, make these people actually do something to survive other than tanning or lounging in a nice lagoon. Water and basic food is apparently always provided now. It's to easy, time to go to a tough location.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
They started making it much easier when "competitors" started to quit with alarming frequency. I think I remember a season where 3 people just quit.

The producers hate it when their pretty people quit, so they had to make it easier on them, and make the game almost completely mentally taxing, rather than physically challenging. I think these changes are to the shows' detriment, and that amping up the challenges to basic survival would increase the drama in other ways.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hate to be the guy who asks this, but really, I would love to see the curtain pulled back.

Just how scripted is this show? There are just unbelievable things that happen from one week to another that defies normality.

Has anyone ever anonymously talked about how much the show is scripted?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Has anyone ever anonymously talked about how much the show is scripted?
Not that I'm aware of.

I think "scripted" is too strong a word. I'm sure that they get "coaching" during their one-on-one camera time, but I don't think any one puts words in their mouths.

Ideas in their heads? Sure.

And somewhat assigned "characters" being discussed pre-island? Yep, that too.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There are other "reality" shows that have full on writers staffs to script out scenarios and even actual dialog. Survivor, as far as I know, is not one of these shows. They will suggest to the cast what kind of vibe they're looking for and some contestants looking for extra face time know what kind of antics make it to the show, which is why some are too kooky to be real (Shane Powers and Phillip Sheppard are definitely like that).

Editing is the reason why things move in a story like fashion and the source of most of the fabrications. For instance, they will insert a reaction shot that's not from the actual conversation because it's punchier, or omit parts of a conversation to change its context. You can tell the former sometimes because the player is wearing the wrong buff or keeps changing what they're wearing. If you notice, the players keep consistent grooming and clothing throughout, to make it easier for the editors to mix and match. While this is intellectually dishonest, modern documentaries do this all the time, and those are supposed to be factual and can cause huge shifts in public perception. Survivor, at least, is entertainment. Super Size Me is mostly fabricated and people think it's the god's honest truth.

While some people think that this show is about surviving the elements (which, to be fair, is implied by the title), the show is entertaining because it's about a game. The problem with extreme calorie restriction is the body shuts down and the players become lethargic and just lay around all day. The result is not very entertaining, which is why the producers go out of their way now to pick locations that have enough food to keep everyone playing and not quietly lounging. But make no mistake -- the calorie restrictions are real, and the contestants are starving out there. You could see how much weight JT lost by the time he was booted, due to the calorie restriction and the activity associated with camp life and challenges. He had a big beer gut that shrank significantly by his final tribal council, and that was only day 13!

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Love this show. And the editing is absolutely the key.

I've watched every season but haven't participated in any of the threads....till now. :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Totally agree with Hanson and Tino. This show is massively edited, I doubt we rarely see the real thing.

There are probably hundreds of hours of footage every week, edited down to fit a 45 minute time slot, so there is a lot of manipulation going on. But it's still fun :rolleyes:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, the tribal councils usually last hours.
Always wondered about that. The contestants seem to come off with statements that look very well rehearsed. If they're sitting there for hours, lots of time to build up your statements and re-do them for the camera if you mess up.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Yes, I agree with Wayne above. The result last night really didn't make a lot of sense unless there was a lot of other info/conversations that were cut out.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Great episode. I really hope Debbie keeps her mouth shut about her miserable and uncomfortable stay at Exile Island. She shouldn't mention that to anyone. She acts all tough on the outside but when she gave Cochran the hug she just crumbled. "It's ok Debbie. I'll burn these clothes when I get back." Also I saw her being on Exile as an advantage. She was safe for the next three days, and no one was thinking about her back at either camp. No one was plotting against her. The thing is she's her worst enemy. She's not someone a lot of people would be glad to have join their tribe.

I'm not sure I agree with the confusion on the council. Yes there was a LOT going on, but really, in the end, everyone stuck to the plan, which is probably what was decided ahead of time. It just wasn't shown because it would lessen the dramatics of the TC.

When Sonia said to Ozzy and Andrea and Sarah 'you can trust me, I can provide you with protection' I said if anyone told me that I would immediately not trust them. I've met too many people who say things like that but who are only out for themselves. I was glad Ozzy snapped out of it.

The way her face changed from smug to disbelief was amazing.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That tribal ended well. She's won twice, about time to go home.

I actually wish it had been Debbie, but she was safe for a few days because of Exile.

Tai is a sneaky little guy, wouldn't trust him at all. He got real lucky not playing one of his idols, a rare gamble that paid off, unlike JT.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The high level of game play continues.

Count me among those who thought Sandra had executed a masterful turnaround. When I realized what she was trying to do, I was actually sorry to see her go.

What a player!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What a really bizarre episode.

First, why oh why did it have to be Debbie that got to go to Exile island and have it turn into such a celebration?

I suppose that disheartening act balanced out nicely when Sandra was sent home. Hated her! Had no idea she won a million dollars twice before.

And Tai. We all know he's a back-stabbing weasel from his original survivor stance. I am just floored that he didn't play one of those two idols this week. He was really nervous.

So, Tai now has two idols. He'll be around for awhile no doubt.

Couldn't even predict at this point who will win this. Not sure I have any favorites at this point.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It is too bad Sandra went home, I was really enjoying her game. And honestly, it was because of all the tribe swaps -- no one can make any lasting alliances because of the constant tribe shifting. The gameplay is kind of random now and pegged too much on luck. This is the third iteration of Nuku, making it New New Nuku.

Sandra knew she didn't stand a chance this season, but played anyway. According to Sandra, the reason there was no Tai vote from his alliance was because he kept grabbing at his pocket, and Ozzy got nervous he had the idol. Zeke is controlling the tribe now, but he was controlling it last season and still got voted out.

I swear, Debbie is going to break my TV. Or at least turn it to stone.

Debbiegorgon.jpg

The Exile Island segment was just barf inducing because of so much Debbie screen time. She's revolting.

Also, after I called Cochrane "cock-ring", that's all my wife heard. She had never noticed how much they sound alike. What's worse than having to watch Debbie for an entire act? To have to watch her fondling cock-ring. I should have just FF'd.

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Hanson - nice return to form. Your commentaries are more enjoyable than the shows being skewered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks