What's new

Survivor 34-CBS (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
It
I swear, Debbie is going to break my TV. Or at least turn it to stone.

The Exile Island segment was just barf inducing because of so much Debbie screen time. She's revolting.

Can not stand this woman. Easily the most awful contestant to ever make it on the show, coming in a close second would be Johnny Fairplay from years ago.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Hanson nailed it on Sandra. Love her or hate her she is Survivor royalty and was once again playing a very smart game. If a player of her caliber gets outwitted and/or outplayed, that's a great moment in the game. But when her strategy is undone by a bad rock draw during another BS random tribe change, it just seems like a waste.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The usually completely paranoid stress basket that is Tai not playing either of his idols was the big clue there was some serious editing going on for that council and he had to know they were sticking with Sandra.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Colton?? Russell????? Mini-Russell????????????? Brian Heidek??????????
Totally forgot about Russell and his evil nephew. They might top Debbie as the most hated players, yet kept showing up in other seasons. Must have been for the "drama" effect.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow.
Tonight's episode was very rough to watch (and for the contestants, even rougher).

There can't be any discussion about 'scripted' after this episode. This was real.

I wonder if the producers met with Zeke afterward to discuss what to show. Maybe they had an edited version ready with Probst just stating the outcome - no details about was was revealed.

The thing is, if things weren't said, the vote might have gone another way. It was bad, and possible unnecessary.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Varner clearly took the 'out' part of outplay a little too seriously. Tough to watch. And as awful as it was, what he did, I think he probably hates the fact that he did it now as much as anyone.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
We certainly haven't seen that on Survivor before. As inconceivable and heartless as Varner's blunder was, a part of me was cynical enough to believe he was prompted or encouraged by producers. I'll walk that back and believe otherwise, but his target clearly had to sign the release allowing the whole thing to be aired, which made for some riveting television.

Last edited:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Immediately after people were slamming CBS for airing that on reddit. However, this was filmed months ago. I would like to think they discussed with Zeke how he would feel about this airing. He seemed ok by the end of TC and he's had plenty of time to 'out' himself to those around him who didn't know already.

But that whole thing was shocking. We've all said things without thinking then immediately think 'i really shouldn't have said that....' only not on national tv. Varner is having a really bad day today, I suspect.

Immediately after the show aired Zeke tweeted "My fly was down the entire time."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know this is not an easy answer given the vagaries of the taping/airing schedule of the last three seasons of Survivor...but didn't we, as the TV audience, already know that Zeke was transgender? I'm sure that was out there during his first season.

And I only say "I'm sure" because if someone had asked me, I would have said that. I certainly wasn't surprised as the contestants were during the tribal council. I can see where they wouldn't have known because this season was taped right after Zeke's first season ended (and it hadn't aired).

So, as far as the issue of whether or not it mattered if CBS aired that part of the tribal in deference to Zeke, I don't think it was really an issue. But, then again, Zeke was speaking during tribal as if no one really knew.

I am a bit confused.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I don't think it was mentioned in the Millenials vs. GenX season about Zeke being transgendered. Maybe it was, but I wasn't tuned into it in that season, I was more about the clustering of voting blocs that developed in that season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right, Pat. I don't think it was dealt with on the show itself, but I'm sure it was widely discussed outside by fans.

In other words, I don't think there are many people who know Zeke who weren't already aware. I figure if I knew, then anyone else who knows him probably knew. :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What was really confusing was Varner and Zeke bonding so heavily in the same episode, and then Varner selling him out in a way that seemed more than a bit mean-spirited. Just asking, but is there some animosity or resentment between the male gay community and female-to-male transgenders? I don't believe for an instant that the LGBT community is just one happy family, unlike any other community with conflicts. And I knew many gay men in Hollywood who simply hated women (except for the drag icons). Not trying to open any can of worms, but I was curious about that dynamic between a gay man and a woman-to-man transgender.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Absolutely horrifying cringe, felt so bad for Zeke but stoked at how well he turned it around

I've watched every episode and my fair share of behind the scenes and I had zero clue about Zeke's history. Guy's a better man than many born that way! As someone with hormonal issues myself I'm jealous of his ability to grow a solid beard and mustache :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm pretty sure as evidenced by everyone's reaction, it was NOT known that Zeke was TG. On or off the show. I've never heard it discussed anywhere and I'm a huge survivor fan.

At first I was really pissed at Varner but as the episode progressed it was evident had knew he made the biggest mistake of his life and I felt sorry for him.

Zeke handled it with ultimate class.

An amazing episode which in the end will do great good I believe.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I haven't watched the episode yet -- just the clip on CNN.

I had no idea Zeke was TG. However, it was apparent to me that he was very infeminent and possibly gay.

That's a hard thing to hide when you are playing Survivor and have bathroom and other hygiene issues to contend with.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What got overshadowed in the episode was the nice moment on the beach with Culpepper, a sincere discussion about the real-world costs of being a reality TV Survivor star.

All in all, one of the best Survivor episodes I've ever seen, and I've seen them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks