What's new

Surround/Processing with only L/R/C? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone,

Because of the WAF and the room layout, the rear/side surrounds will have to be in the dedicated HT room only. For the family room, I'll only be using the front left, right, and center speakers.

Can someone tell me what sort of surround/processing options I will have, with the absense of the rear surrounds in this setup? I think I get the whole 5.1 and 6.1 and DPLII ideas, but without the rears, I'm sure there are some processing modes that would give us something a little extra.

Thanks, Aaron

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
For the Family room forget the center and get a great stereo pair. If you place the speakers correctly and the seating position is relatively narrow for the sweet spot you should still get good results. Although you will be missing some of the rear ambience and effects, you can still get effective dialogue and also have something musically satisfying. Save the 6.1 for the dedicated HT.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hmmm....interesting. I guess that shows how much I know about the different decoding sources. I thought for sure the center channel would add something.

I have the Diva 2.1's right now, which I was planning to use in the family room. What would you consider a "good stereo pair"?

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks