What's new

surge protector (1 Viewer)

Achim Eilers

Auditioning
A few weeks ago my house had a very bad power surge. Pretty much all electronic components got damaged like:
- garage door openers
- central A/C
- telephone
- computer
- multiswitch behind satellite dish
- 2 satellite receiver
- pioneer elite receiver
- mcintosh mc500
- bryston 4b
- acurus a200x3
- 2 sony XBR TV's

naturally after all this I'm in the market for a surge protector.
I looked at the Monster HTPS7000 and the PS Audio Power Director any input from somebody out there or other suggestion?

Thanks

Achim.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Achim, it depends on what you have as a comfort level for surge protection. Please consider looking at the tweaks area for the past month or so as this was covered in great detail. In a general sense you'll have supressors that meet the first part of UL1449 and those are invariably based on MOV technology. For protection beyond that, there are the non-MOV units such as Brickwall, Adcom, ZeroSurge, SurgeX that meet the most rigorous standards of the optional part of UL 1449.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
based on your list of damaged components, i'd certainly look at a whole house solution to stop it at the breaker box. i took a surge at a cell site that i maintain that tripped the 200 amp main breaker, but the "whole house" type surge protector did its job, not a single thing got fried.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Achim, let us know how you're making out going through the archives in tweaks and if you've got questions that you need to bounce off.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
while Achim is looking at options -- and whole house is very good -- having surge suppression in addition at the component point-of-use is the best overall path.
Both Monster HTPS7000 and PSAudio Director are top-of-the-line units and certainly do the jobs for protection and as power plug-in centers.
What the Monster has going for it is BALANCED POWER which has a lot to be said for it. Here's an explainer on balanced power from EQUI=TECH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks