What's new

Surge Protection (1 Viewer)

Matthew_F

Stunt Coordinator

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well do you live in an area that's prone to any issues with lighting and are there any particular issues with your power that you'd care to share? that would tend to mitigate the response. aside from that, it's always good thinking to protect all means of surge's getting into your system.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Let's not get out of hand here with yea and nay-saying on surge protectors. Whatever, it's always good to have SOME protection for our expensive equipment.
Matthew, your previous posts indicate you've done your research on RPTVs, you have an RP-82 DVDp and a knowledge of electronics and how things work. You did not ask how to protect the ENTIRE system, but this is the basic question. To answer the question you DID ask, it's the unit with F-terminal pass-thru protectors you need to protect any satellite or cabletv coax.
Surges from external sources -- both power company outages and lightning fields -- can enter the house just as easily from these coax cables and damage attached equipment the same as electrical wiring paths. A computer station tel wire modem also needs its surge protector connection.
Until one gets a feel for the added features these surge protector power centers may offer such as remote 12-volt trigger, or delayed turn-on/turn-off of amplifiers, or voltage meters, 10 outlets instead of 6 or 8 and so on, it's perfectly fine to spend under $100 U.S. on a surge protector.
I suggest you peruse the Beginners Questions and FAQ from atop the HTF Basics Area HERE and note the list I made this fall of various units under $100. I believe there's the Belkin 933-10 model you've seen in there, too.
G'luck
bill

Matthew_F

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your responce. Actually yes, I do want to protect a entire home thearter system but at the moment I only have a TV since I'm building it one at a time, but you were right about my intial post. I will be getting the surge surge with the added features for protection. I was not sure because I asked like couple of TV service men and they said, it's not needed since the cable line didn't carry a lot of power and I did have doubts about that.

Once again, thanks =)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
if you live in a private house and if your cable passes in the vicinity of your incoming electrical lines, you can achieve a greater degree of protection by installing a surge device for your cable in that general area and then making a connection to your house ground. an example, not necessarily a recommendation, can be seen here. you'll find there are a slew of similar products, some of which your cable company may provide. your best protection is going to come by stopping/shunting the surge to your outside ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks