Lightning Strike Protection

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
I live in lightning alley. Here in the I4 corridor, we are the lightning capital of the US. I get strikes on my cable line all the time. Last night it took out all my TV hdmi ports. Over the last few years, I have also taken out 2 routers, 1 modem and both boards in my TV as well as several cable boxes. I have good surge protection but everything I have tried so far on the cable line has screwed up reception. What are you guys using? This time I get to buy a new TV but I don't want a repeat in a few months.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
Wayne
Hopefully someone will weigh in, but AFAIK there is no protection that can be had against lightening strikes.

What you might try is an antenna switch box, used to disconnect your gear from the feed when not in use. But my understanding, if the strike is severe enough, the energy can arc across the open contacts. Cheap enough to try, though.

Amazon product
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
You want a whole house surge protector and interior surfer protectors on the outlets (and probably cable coax lines).
Thanks Dave. I have electrical protection. All my problems come in on the cable line but everything I have tried on those attenuated the signal and even blocked some cable channels. I guess I was hoping somebody was using something special (you know - a dream LOL)

Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
If it’s that serious, you might take a drastic approach: go streaming only and distribute via WiFi. That way only the WiFi router would get destroyed by lightning. There’s no coax used throughout the house to destroy TVs..

John Dirk

Cinematographer
Premium
Real Name
JOHN
I live in lightning alley. Here in the I4 corridor, we are the lightning capital of the US. I get strikes on my cable line all the time. Last night it took out all my TV hdmi ports. Over the last few years, I have also taken out 2 routers, 1 modem and both boards in my TV as well as several cable boxes. I have good surge protection but everything I have tried so far on the cable line has screwed up reception. What are you guys using? This time I get to buy a new TV but I don't want a repeat in a few months.

I have frequent power issues in my area too. For the electrical panels feeding my home I installed these but they won't protect incoming RG-59, RG-6 etc.

For that you might consider a product like this one but there are a couple of caveats. First and foremost, be sure the product you choose does not attenuate or filter the frequency range your cable modem uses to provide your Internet service. Next, be aware that there are mixed reviews as to the effectiveness of these types of products. Here's some information on the theory behind them.

To directly answer your question though, I don't use anything. I ran separate RG-6 lines for my TV antennas and Internet connection to avoid any possible frequency issues and haven't had the surge problems you describe. The first thing I would do is ensure your incoming line is properly grounded outside of your home. Lightening should automatically choose the shortest path to ground.

Last edited:

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Thanks for all the info guys. As I suspected no real secrets on this issue. One of the joys of living in Central FL.
I'm going to check the ground on the cable. Complain to the cable company to see if there is anything they can do. Look into a supressor for the cable but I have little confidence. I already have gone wifi on everything except my one tv - I hate to go that way but it is a possible. I have no cable to the projector and I physically disconnect it when I'm not using it. The router I am using now belongs to the cable company so I don't care if it gets zapped - it isn't the best but it's free and it's their problem.

Waiting to see if I can get the main board on my LG fixed - if not my only 3D will be the projector. Fun fun fun.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz