What's new

Superman Returns Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think Peter is too emotionally involved with a format. Even in this politically correct world, feeling "insulted" about someone's opinion of the format war is over the top.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Politics, Mac vs PC...this is nothing.
Can't help but notice it's the HD DVD folks who miraculously don't mind "fight Blu-ray" in a Blu-ray specific thread.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saying "A" is over the top doesn't make "B" not over the top. The fact that you compare this to politics, etc. proves how emotionally involved you are.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Robert I ask again:

Do you have a Blu-ray player? Are you buying this title on Blu-ray?
Have you ever said anything positive about Blu-ray?

It seems every time there is a BD thread the HD DVD folks descend upon it en masse.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Anything negative said about BR just ruins your day, eh, Peter? I'll say no more.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

So be the better man and ignore them. It's a format, not a country. No reason to get so defensive and offended by it.

Can't you see, on the inside we're all the same color.. doesn't matter what format we buy our HD movies in.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If I remember correctly the HD software section is not format specific--meaning it's NOT a BluRay forum but one for discussion of software on both HD formats.

That being said, the sig line being objected to is imho sorta juvenile.

High Def DVD digest rates the pq on both HD versions of this disc as equal, the same reveiwer using the same display device for both versions. The presence of a Dolby Tru-HD soundtrack on the HD-DVD version is the only difference between the two. I have both a BluRay and HD-DVD player and can attest that the Tru-HD soundtracks I've heard are noticeably superior to DolbyDigital+ but not any better than some of the 5.1 PCM soundtracks used on some Sony BD releases. If Warner had chosen to go with a 5.1PCM lossless soundtrack on this title I'd get the BD version simply because my BD player is more pleasant to use than my HD-DVD player, but without it the HD-DVD version is my preference.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Not to get us back on topic or anything... but I watched the plane crash scene tonight and I have to say I am very impressed. Granted I've only had my PS3 since yesterday but so far I've loved what I've seen. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. *crosses fingers*

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, back on topic:

There seems to be some visual proof that using the same VC-1 video encoding the title for both HD DVD and Blu-ray (when the BD has 20 unused GB) has compromised this film: there is some serious banding throughout and causes some bad artifacting especially in the underwater shots. Examples would be: during the bank robbery when the machine gun guy whirls around to face the security guards, when the missile enters the ocean and when you see the approach of the crystalline "stick" as it approaches the boat from below. Similar (but worse) than the banding in "Ice Age: The Meltdown"

Other than that, the rest of it looks for the most part great, very clean and clear. The sound is phenomenal, even in Dolby Digital (at 640kbps).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I purchased this on BD and watch it with my HTPC. I also noticed a lot of color banding in blue places, ice, water. It was very distracting. To a point that I thought something is wrong with my setup. If other people see it too, I feel better!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
For those experiencing the banding, have you experienced it on any other title? Stacy Spears suggested on AVS that if you monkeyed with the picture settings on the Panasonic too much (which apparently has some BTB issues as well, at least without messing with the settings), you can end up with banding. As the reaction to this title seems to be mixed, I just wouldn't want it to be blamed as a software issue if it's really a 1st-generation hardware issue. The visuals of this film seem like they could really expose any hardware flaws. Then again, they could be compression challenges as well.:)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Both these posts cover ground I came by here to checkup on.
This is a terrible waste of space for BD (50GB) w/o lossless.
As well as a poor showing for HD DVD (30GB) w/o IME.
To me, this title is a failure for BOTH formats.
Ugh!

For those keeping a scorecard between the BD & HD DVD:
"However, as usual, Warner does include its usual bevy of HD DVD-only custom interactive navigation features on this release, including a bookmark feature, timeline and zoom-in mode if you want to more closely inspect any of 'Superman Returns' cool CGI effects."
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/supermanreturns.html
Also more fuel to the fire:
"Rumblings that Blu-ray backers were beginning to complain that Warner is not playing fair and equal by piling up the exclusive extras on HD DVD releases but leaving them off their Blu-ray counterparts is not entirely unreasonable. With true IME-like functionality still rumored to be a year off for Blu-ray (due to development and player compatibility issues), we may see a 'Superman Returns' high-def double dip sometime in the next few years."
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/supermanreturns.html

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I ran the film (HD-DVD) using a Tosh XA1, HDMI, Pioneer Elite Rec, and HDMI to a Panny 100u projector. I, like many of the reviews, saw none of these issues that some have posted here. I would like to get a copy of the BD version and see if it is the same. This seems to be the most argued about disk yet released on HD formats. Strange we are having so different viewing experiences with this title. BTW, I am not overly fond of non-film sources. They are a little to pristine for my likes.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Maybe the exclusive only studios would not grumble so much if they, like Warner and Paramount released in both format. They should be concerned. It is not Warner's job to secure the longevity of BD or HD, that would fall more on the studios that have decided on one format over the other.

DarthBeavis

Agent
Real Name
Richard Surroz
Pwned. LOL.
I picked up the HD DVD version since I don't have meh PS3 yet (I am one of those people who think both BR and HD DVD rawk and want both until one rulez them all). I have a Sony 70" XBR 2 and a Sony 1080i DVD Camcorder so I am excited about having a Blue Ray player to add to the HD DVD units (there is plenty of room under the tent).

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The banding is there on the PS3 and the Samsung (tested both versions). It seems to be much more severe on the Samsung though.
According to the PS3 the bitrate hovers around 12-18Mbps in those shots. It even drops BELOW 10Mbps in a couple of shots (the aforementioned spike approaching the boat from below). In all it peaks around 24Mbps. Much more bandwidth potential unused on the BD50.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I agree with Peter!!!
It would be fun to see the bit rate for the HD DVD,
To see if it was too much bandwidth used on the 30GB.

However, now I'm seeing (I know!) better & better reviews (RAH) for the HD DVD. So, maybe, its the BD players?
Ugh!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I wouldn't doubt it is a player-specific problem. Many early DVD players had the same kinds of problems (though some transfers produce similar effects); I expected the same issues to plague early HD units. One of the reasons I planned to hold out for 2nd or 3rd gen.

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone able to tell me if Warner is still making their Blu-Ray discs multi-region (ie Superman/ Superman Returns)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks