What's new

Superman Returns Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,
This Blu Ray disc is simply Outrageous!!! PQ is stunning.... You guys will not believe your eyes when you pop this one in....

Kudos to Warner!!!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Great! So, is it missing anything compared to the DVD release? Since I have blu-ray, I purchase the BD of the recent releases and skip the DVD.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I'm assuming you're talking about the negative reports of PQ in the HD-DVD review. Are there BD reviews which also are criticizing this release? Both releases should be using the same transfer, correct?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I assume the HD DVD is a double-sided disc due to the combo thing. It wouldn't make sense if that's what caused the HD-DVD to be lesser than the Blu-Ray disc.

I'm seriously considering buying an HD-XA2 and the Sony BD player when they are both more available in December.

My dilemma now is what version of Returns to get.

Pete T C

Second Unit

For this release, it is fairly simple to make the decision.

As per the title's compressionist posting on AVSFORUM, both the HD DVD Combo (HD30/DVD9) and Blu-Ray release have bit-for-bit identical video. However, the Blu-Ray release lacks the lossless Dolby TrueHD5.1 of the HD DVD and also lacks the standard definition version that the HD DVD contains on the flipside of the HD version. So you are getting better audio quality and more for your money with the HD DVD release.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I grudgingly have to agree that I would buy the HD-DVD if I owned both formats. But as I'm too poor to buy either at the moment...I believe MI3 was the same story.

It's NOT superior enough for me to buy two players however. Ergo, were I to see a fantastic deal on any of the Superman titles (I'm talking around $13) I'd snatch them up and put them alongside my other two BDs that are taking up space.:)

Not that they won't be rereleased in a boxset some time down the line anyway, provided Blu-ray survives...hopefully with lossless audio for all. It does suck though that WB couldn't have thrown PCM soundtracks on the BDs, what with the space being available. But why invest more than you have to I suppose.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

OK. But it is still an offensive signature.
I don't go into a HD DVD thread and talk about BD's superiority.

I couldn't even talk about Dolby TrueHD from a format neutral standpoint because it was an HD DVD thread before.

Nor do I have a sig that implies a format is somehow worth fighting against, like it was Divx or cancer or terrorism or something. :frowning:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The HD DVD should be on my doorstep tomorrow.

Sorry if I am not allowed to post this here.

- Steve

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Lossless audio track provided on the HD-DVD. 'nuff said.:)

Regarding PQ, sad to say Stacy Spears on AVS Forum is reporting CUE on the 1.2 firmware of the Panasonic (whereas it wasn't present with earlier firmware). Again, wondering if specific hardware (and perhaps firmware) accounts for the disparity in perceived image quality on this title. Wasn't it the Toshiba that lost its BTB capability with one of the firmware fixes? Amazes me when manufacturers improve one aspect of a player with firmware and damage another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks