What's new

Supergirl (CBS) (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
At least it's an actual costume and looks like one Supergirl wore. I just don't like the darker, muddy hues used and the lack of yellow in the shield. Some Superhero costumes are supposed to pop colour-wise. I look forward to checking this series out, whether I stay with it will depend on the quality of the episodes.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I find the skirt anachronistic and impractical. The latest incarnation of the Superman costume moved away from the muscle man shorts - high time the Supergirl costume was updated along similar lines.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From photos it looks like they are making Kara Danvers into Clark Kent with a skirt.

150310-pilotshoot1.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ordered to series

This brings the number of DC Comics-based superhero series executive produced by Greg Berlanti up to three. If the "Atom" ensemble spinoff gets picked up by the CW, there will be four Berlanti-produced DC Comics shows airing in the same week next season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoy these shows as much as anyone, but there are only so many nights in the week and hours in the day.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Hoping they don't ignore Superman and that they can cross-over with the Flash/Green Arrow.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh no, not more cross-overing! I've already got Arrow spillage in my Flash. I don't know if I can handle additional Supergirl seepage as well.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
And I just read that Supergirl is getting the 8 PM Monday slot, up against Gotham.

Because that's not going to eat into your audience...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Chip_HT said:
And I just read that Supergirl is getting the 8 PM Monday slot, up against Gotham.

Because that's not going to eat into your audience...

Yeah, really stupid. Reminds me of the time, 20 years ago, when the New York UPN station put Voyager on opposite Deep Space Nine, also Mondays at 8. And they wondered why those shows never found as big an audience as their predecessor.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Is there some kind of plot to drive Warner Brothers shows off the air?

Last year they pitted, WB shows of similar appeal, PERSON OF INTEREST and FOREVER against each other, falling victim to the not produced by the home network cancellation trap.

Now SUPERGIRL vs. GOTHAM.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The series preview:

If Man of Steel had an ounce of the levity shown here, I think many people would have thought it was a better movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Bob Gu said:
Is there some kind of plot to drive Warner Brothers shows off the air?
It's actually a reflection of business trends as a whole. As syndication, streaming and home media sales make up a larger and larger percentage of a shows value, the pressure on the networks to keep production in house grows greater as well. Warner Bros. Television has traditionally been the strongest studio in terms of the stable of talent it keeps under contract. But it's also the only major studio without a Big Four corporate sibling, which puts it at a major disadvantage. I'd imagine someday we'll see CBS shows only from CBS studios, NBC shows only from Universal Television, ABC shows only from ABC Studios, Fox shows only from 20th Century Fox Television or Twentieth Television. It's no coincidence that the CW, which TimeWarner has a 50 percent stake in, is overwhelmingly filled with Warner Bros. Television shows. CBS Studios's offerings on the network by contrast have mostly failed to find an audience, which has to make CBS question the value of its 50 percent stake in the fledgling network.

Now SUPERGIRL vs. GOTHAM.
This one is a real head scratcher for me. While "Supergirl" is likely to skew more female than "Gotham", there's still going to be enormous crossover appeal from fans of superhero programming. The only thing I can think of is that CBS is counting on a lot of DVR audience.

Sam Favate said:
The series preview:

If Man of Steel had an ounce of the levity shown here, I think many people would have thought it was a better movie.

That was an EXCELLENT trailer. I was really unsure of this show before I watched it, but it set many of my concerns at ease.

My biggest concern was the casting of Melissa Benoist in the title role, but she was terrific in that trailer. Flawed, relatable and easy to root for as Kara the executive assistant -- a real human being instead of a disguise. And then when she puts on the costume and soars, she keeps the audience with her and actually demonstrates some joy at being able to do incredible things. And in motion, the costume looks great.

The most important people in her life seem to either already know her secret before she puts on the tights or learn it very shortly thereafter, which alleviates one of my usual biggest annoyances with these types of shows.

Calista Flockhart is delicious as Cat Grant, in this iteration a cross between Perry White and the Devil Wears Prada.

I like the reimagining of Jimmy Olsen as a sort of mentor figure for Kara, having already had his coming of age story during his tenure at the Daily Planet with Clark Kent and Lois Lane. If "Smallville" was a pre-Superman story, this is a sort of post-Superman story with Superman already the person he was destined to be.

As much as I love "Arrow", and as much as cheesy fun as "The Flash" is, they still have to operate within the limited budgets of a CW. Much like "Gotham" on Fox, this show has a big network budget behind it and I was really happy to see so much of it show up on screen. Pilot director Glen Winter has done solid work on "Smallville", "Arrow" and "The Flash" as both director and cinematographer, but his work here is on a completely different scale.

This just skyrocketed to the top of my must-see shows for the fall.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
My biggest problem with this show is the same with all the other DC shows, no connection (as far as I'm aware) to their new movie universe. It makes me feel, what's the point of watching if it has no overarching link to the big picture? I guess the MCU has spoiled me with that.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
DC has flat out said that the TV is separate from the movies.

Even Gotham is separate from the CW shows, and Supergirl might be as well.

It does set up for a Crisis on Infinite Earths event at some point....but I doubt they'll be able to pull that off.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked the trailer a lot, enough to check the show out. I was annoyed a bit at first that it's on opposite Gotham but I can watch one as it airs and the other online afterwards.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It's no coincidence that the CW, which TimeWarner has a 50 percent stake in, is overwhelmingly filled with Warner Bros. Television shows. CBS Studios's offerings on the network by contrast have mostly failed to find an audience, which has to make CBS question the value of its 50 percent stake in the fledgling network.
The CW/CBS deal has a bright spot for CBS at least with the CBS owned and operated stations. The plugging into the 10-11 P.M. slots, (and other times during the day), with their already existing local news operations must be a cash cow for CBS.

I liked the Supergirl trailer and am actually looking forward to the series, but couldn't Jimmy, I mean James Olsen, at least wear a bow tie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks