What's new

Sunrise DVD, where to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Has anyone heard anything about how Sunrise will be packaged? I mean will there be cover art and such for it?

Brian E

Screenwriter
Haven't heard, but I would hope it would be in a keep case like the Jurassic Park bonus disc was.

I don't much official info is really available yet.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Technically (commercially) speaking, you only need to find two. You apparently want Sunrise and are willing to pay for it. So just consider a less wanted (take the cheapest) DVD for free, and morally pay for Sunrise.
You're still buying 3 DVDs to get to one. That's the entire point of the discussion.

Think of it as getting a gift for your birthday...totally free... but you have to buy 3 gifts for yourself in order to open the one you got for free. That's basically the situation here.

Brian E

Screenwriter
The point is you get it this way or not at all from the sound of things. I would rather be able to get it than not be able to get it because it was deemed not viable to release. It is Fox's film to release as they please after all.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
But there's your mistake: you are not entitled to a free birthday present from Fox.
I know I'm not entitled to anything. I never expected anything for free.

Look...I really regret ever making a complaint about this release. I was expecting a lot of support for a title of this sort. I can't even get support from some major DVD websites on this matter (along with my other two silent cinema campaigns).

Brian E

Screenwriter
It's a shame if you can't get any support for the silent cinema campaign. IMO it's a worthwhile cause.

TimJS

Second Unit
Patrick:
I remember a thread where your request for Sunrise on DVD was called "a ridiculous pipe dream". While I would prefer that the title was offered as a standard SKU, I am somewhat hopeful that the studio's strategy is to develop consumer demand for silents by 'giving' a title to consumers who would not ordinarily have purchased it.
If this turns out to be an extortion plot on the studio's part, I expect that we'll be offered BIG PARADE for the purchase of FOUR film noir or Anthony Mann Westerns or James Cagney movies, and I will have been duped again!
:)
Regards,
Tim

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Has anyone information about when SUNRISE will be available as part of that Fox promotion? Also, was I imagining it, or was there an announcement that Fox was also going to release EL NORTE in the near future?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Anyone know if it'll look better than the version that ran on Fox Movie Classics recently? Seemed too bright to me.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any info, but getting a copy of El Norte very much interests me. I hope that isn't just a rumor.

Bruce

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The print used on Fox is actually the best (only) video transfer. In fact, it was off the best possible elements at the time.

Kevin Brownlow has since then restored the film (likely not perfect, but still optimal due to the negative being gone) and Fox should have it.

But Fox still opts for you to buy three DVDs to get to it. You can sugar-coat the fact, but you're still paying for 3 films to get to one no matter how good they are.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, you keep assuming that there will be NO films in the promotion that you want. I find that difficult to believe, considering the classics that Fox has in its vault and that will likely be part of this promotion. Unless that's the case, it's not buying three films to get one, it's buying three films to get FOUR. And that's a GOOD thing.
I did sign your other petitions, though. :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Patrick, you keep assuming that there will be NO films in the promotion that you want. I find that difficult to believe, considering the classics that Fox has in its vault and that will likely be part of this promotion. Unless that's the case, it's not buying three films to get one, it's buying three films to get FOUR. And that's a GOOD thing.
I'm sure there will be films I'm interested in.

Would you like it if Greed (or any other WB-owned silent) was availible only by purchasing Ben-Hur, Casablanca, and Gone With The Wind? What about Wings by purchasing Ordinary People, Forrest Gump, and Braveheart? See where I am getting at? If Paramount or WB were pulling stuff like this, I'd be doing exactly the same thing. At least when Turner and Paramount released silents to video, they did so. Fox sadly has had Sunrise only availible on LD (with many bootleg tapes from putrid sources) while Turner and Paramount put nearly all of their silents of VHS and/or LD.

I honestly feel that if it wasn't for Fox's excellent track record, Sunrise would be getting the attention it needs from here. With the amount of outcry given about Willy Wonka, E.T., and the Disney/Columbia P&S-only discs...there are plenty of people who could easily change Fox's decision.

It's just a shame that a lot of people are simply never going to experience the film on DVD or keep their bootleg tapes.

If you won't sign my petition because you don't mind shelling out $60 for a movie, that's fine. I just wish you could sign it out of respect for the movie.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: The people of Fox are aware of the issue. This has become some sort of fanatical crusade for you. I strongly advise you (very strongly) to let it rest and to not bring it up during the chat. Seriously. JB

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

Let me say this....

Fox reads this board. They are well aware of
your complaint.

This crusade has to stop. You will not bring this
up during the chat.

Fox has made a decision.

I have no problem with members expressing their
dissatisfaction with a studio. The last thing I
want, however, is the studio to shun this forum
because of personal crusades by members.

Thank you for understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks