Sunrise DVD, where to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Wilson, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I've seen it mentioned that it is available via mail order from Fox but I can't seem to find it on their home video website. A search of the forum turns up nothing. Silentera.com doesn't list anything either. Can anyone help?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

It is not available yet and won't be until next year and, if the scuttlebutt is true, may only be available through the mail directly from Fox after the purchase of three other dvds. That part I find too strange to be true and dumb if it is. My guess is that some announcement was screwed up and that it will be available separately.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's absolutely free...except for the fact that you have to buy All About Eve, Gentleman's Agreenment, and The Grapes of Wrath to get it.

Hey, I don't see why WB didn't make a deal where Citizen Kane was offered only by purchasing Gone With The Wind, Driving Miss Daisy, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (first edition)...or why not have Columbia have you purchase It Happened One Night only by purchasing Oliver!, One The Waterfront, and All The King's Men?

I'm pretty sure those who want Sunrise would be willing to pay even Criterion prices.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Patrick,
    You're not happy with Fox's marketing strategy which is your right, but your above comment is an exaggeration in regard to the pricing.

Crawdaddy

5. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Extra

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

With a SRP of $19.98 per disc, it will cost $60 to get Sunrise. Why is that an exaggeration?

-Dave

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    First off, the SRP of $19.98 is not even close to Criterion pricing and secondly, each of those discs you should be able to pick up from Best Buy at around $14.99 each.

Crawdaddy

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Would anybody know if this offer is also valid for us folks who live in the UK and other countries who have multi region players?
    thanks
    [​IMG]

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I would still like to know the exact details of what
    hoops I have to jump through to get this title.
    I already have All About Eve, but
    bought it quite a while ago, so I am sure I do not
    have the sales reciept.
    Is there a FAQ about this somewhere or a
    URL with the details?
    (And, yes, I would repurchase All About Eve
    if I had to, but, while the other films are excellent,
    I don't consider them "must own" titles for myself, but
    Sunrise is, unfortunately.)
    Granted, it does figure that "film buffs" would want
    all three "proof of purchase" films on DVD,
    so I can sorta see the thinking behind this
    obviously, well-intentioned offer.
    I am just an oddity.
    (Boy, is THAT and understatement!) [​IMG]
    So, that does work out to paying, even at Crawdaddy's
    prices $34.97 to get Sunrise, plus two
    films I don't want to own, and a second copy of one
    I already have...I am I a sure there will be a shipping
    fee for this "free" DVD...so we're looking at around
    $38.00 for Sunrise
    (Well worth it, IMHO, if the DVD is done properly,
    and doen't look like part of, say, Madacy's catalog),
    and I will have three other DVDs to give to
    friends.
    Mark

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Mark,
    The following is a post I made in another thread about this subject matter and I hope it answers your question.

Unfortunately, the "Sunrise" dvd will only be available when you buy three of Fox's classic series dvds being released in 2003. However, you can purchase any combination of three of those dvds released throughout 2003, and the "Sunrise" dvd will be mailed to you. The list of those dvds scheduled for release next year is very impressive and are among the best films ever made with a MSRP of $19.98 which most of us can buy at about $14-15 purchase price.

Some of us might not agree with this marketing strategy by Fox, but at least they're releasing a significant number of great film titles at very affordable pricing. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to have "Laura", "The Grapes of Wrath", "The Ox-Bow Incident" and several other similar great classics in my collection. Three titles a month will be released starting in January.

Crawdaddy

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

They're releasing Laura?
    Well, that title alone is worth $100 to me on a nice
    DVD, so I am a happy camper! I thought it had to be
    the three films mentioned. (And I bet their version
    of All About Eve will be better than the
    current version anyway.)
    Thanks!
    Mark

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Also, the video transfers of the first three dvds in January are new and the outgoing dvd releases will be from new video transfers.

Crawdaddy

13. Rain

Rain Producer

Out of curiousity, was there any info given about how the Sunrise DVD will be packaged?
    Since it's a mail-in only offer, I'm wondering if it will still be packaged in the usual manner with cover art and all or if it will just be the disc.

14. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

Can someone point me to a list (if one exists) of the Fox classic series titles that could be a qualifying purchase to receive Sunrise ? I'm very interested in The Grapes of Wrath, but I already have (and do not wish to replace) the existing DVD of All About Eve , and I have a laserdisc of Gentleman's Agreement -- a film I don't like enough to re-purchase on DVD.

I don't have money to burn -- I really want Sunrise, but I'm not willing to spend a lot of money buying duplicates of films I already have in order to get it.

Thanks,

Stacie

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The final listing has not been announced, since it's still only September and this doesn't begin until January.

Crawdaddy

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'll be taking them up on the offer, that's for sure.

Put me down for Grapes of Wrath at least, and I should be able to find 2 other titles that I want to own from their list (already have All About Eve).

17. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Whatever calculation one uses to determine the price of Sunrise to the consumer, it is disappointing that such an important film is only available via a mail-in offer. And whether or not there are enough great films on the list to warrant purchasing them regardless, it still amounts to the consumer being forced to buy discs he/she may not want, in order to get one that he/she does want.

18. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

At first I was negative about this "have to buy these DVDs to get that DVD" ordeal, but once I thought about it, it really is quite a nice offer. Since Paramount is not expecting to actually make much (if any) profit on this release, they could have easily not released it. (Although they've been making oodles of money off of DVD sales, they aren't in the charity business. Nor is any other studio.) They could have also released it with a price of $60, thereby recouping their costs by making die-hard fans shoulder the cost. (I know several people who would pay that amount for this one movie.) Instead, we get some films we probably would want in addition to "Sunrise". And if we don't want the other films, we can always sell them off to some used DVD store.

(Of course I would like to see this offered as a single disc in stores (even with a $60 price tag), for those who want freedom of choice, but this deal is fine with me.)

Hey. We live in a capitalistic country where money is the bottom line, right? Just another case of art taking a backseat to the almighty buck!

19. Robert Crawford

Robert

I have confirmation that this offer is valid for those that reside outside of Region 1 as long as you submit the proof of purchase.

Crawdaddy

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    The real question for me is, not whether I'll be buying three titles (I'll probably end up with almost all of them, I a sucker for quality presentation of classics), but whether fox will force us to destroy the cover art to get the proof of purchase (ala new line) or will it be a corner of the insert like on some of their other dvds?

You know what would be a really cool touch, if instead of offering another film as the free offer (as fox is doing for sunrise) they offered a dvd of bonus materials relating to all or half (and do two offers for separate dvds each half of the year) of the classics line. Since there probably is not enough material fo any single title to warrent a second disc as Warner's two discs and Disney Vault series have done, this would be an excellent way to offer bonus material that might not fit with a single disc, but wouldn't warrent a second disc all on there own. I imagine something like this would be met with praise by HTF members, because it offers a variety of special edition material at no extra cost and doesn't compromise the presentation quality. Of course some would complain that they don't want extra material for films they won't be buying, or still that they don't want to buy three of the films, but there's no pleasing some people, even if the dvd is 'free'.
    Focusing the extras disc on a new documentary about the classic fox output in general would be a good central anchor to put on the disc, this could be an hour long retrospective about the rise of the Fox studio, it's key films, players, and stars; it would put all the filims in the series in context, and offer some nice information about the studio as a whole.

Adam

Adam