What's new

Sunfire True Sub owners...NEED YOUR HELP! (1 Viewer)

I recently bought a True Sub MK II used. The sub seems to be in superb condition physically. I can't find a single thing wrong with it. The problem is this: it makes a mechanical noise, very similar to the chuffing sound ported speakers sometimes make, when playing extremely low bass. This happens even at moderate listening levels. So far I've only found two tracks that cause the sub to make this noise: "Jurrasic Lunch" from The Great Fantasy Adventure Album, and track 2 from "The Fifth Element" soundtrack. In both cases, the noise only occured in passages with content well below 30Hz. I watched "The Fellowship of the Ring" last night, at pretty high volume, and didn't notice any problems. Ditto with the pod race sequence from "Episode I".
I popped the back plate off (the warranty is long since expired) and noticed nothing obviously loose or out of place inside the cabinet. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced similar problems, or if this is simply what this sub does when confronted with really deep bass. If it is a problem and you know of a fix, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Make sure it is unplugged when you start messing with the amp plate...:)
It is strange that the sub *coughed* on 5th Element but not LOTR or TPM.(the latter two have deeper,louder bass)Were you listening at the same volume levels for all 3 DVDs?
TV

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I too had that sound with my Sunfire a couple of years ago. It sounded like a metal clunking noise under hard, heavy bass. It slowly got worse to the point that it did it all them time, and it hardly outputed any bass. I sent it back to Sunfire to get fixed, and they ended up replacing it.

My new one does make a similar, loud rattle under very deep bass. I have since changed my speaker setup to large rather then small, and it has not happened again. Regardless, I would be careful with it in that if you hear the sound, turn down the volume!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks