What's new

Suggestions: Floor Standing Fronts for ~$800 MSRP (1 Viewer)

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a pair of floor standing fronts to replace my stacked Advents. One of them finally gave up the ghost.
I have a couple of JBL N24's for surround, a JVC 120W/2; 100W/5 receiver (realistically, 70W/channel), and a boomy wood floor (skip the sub :)).
Currently on my short list is the Paradigm Monitor 9's, and the Klipsch RF-3's.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm nowhere close to an audio store, and I'd like to firm-up my listening list before I make the trip.
John

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest the Paradigm Monitor 9's. At $750 they really do sound marvelous. I have them as my mains and cannot be happier. Some prefer the monitor 7's over the 9's, but the additional midbass of the 9's is definately better for 2 channel music.

ErikE

Auditioning
I'm partial to the Boston Acoustics VR950 for floor standing fronts @ $700/pair MSRP. I prefer their sound over the Klipsch which I found harsh for my taste and I've heard that Advent and Boston Acoustics have a shared history so if you like the Advent sound you may find the Boston sound to your liking. I'm also thinking/toying with the idea that the look of the Bostons is a nice match for the SVS subs.
Hope this helps.
erik
------------------
"It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response..."

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got two sets of the Klipsch RF3s and love them. They were a little bright with my old Sony 555es but are a perfect match to my new Denon 3802.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Consider auditioning NHT SuperTwos. They are well within your price range.
icon14.gif

------------------
Best, Sam

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Another endorsement for the Paradigm Monitor 9s here. They are awesome!
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I have the RF-3's and love 'em. They are fantastic with movies. With music they are a bit bright, but not harsh. They are hooked up to an Onkyo 787.
In the end, let your ears be your guide...

GregJ

Agent
You mentioed you had JBL N series speakers as surrounds so you may want to look at the ND310 also from JBL. They have good sound and good power handling. This way you get speakers more matched in sound design.
Greg

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
JohnDG,
I'd have to agree with NateT...you should at least give some thought to the Axioms. They are great sounding speakers at a great price. I have a pair of the M50s and am extremely happy with them. You will probably get even better sound by upgrading to the M60s. Definitely give Mark at Audioshop a call...he'll give you all of the particulars as well as a good price. Plus, he's very helpful and very professional...best customer service I've had in a long while!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NateT,
Did you ever post your review of the Axioms you bought? I never did see anything...
Ron

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I would third the SuperTwo recommendation, if you can still find them. I owned them a few years ago, and they have the best bass of any full-ranger under $1000, in addition to being very good-sounding overall.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the feedback.
I headed out this weekend to the only hifi store that is close. I've got the Klipsch, Paradigm and NHT's on my short list.
John

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
John,
I'd be interested in hearing of your decision. I had a similar thread a few years ago and ended up getting the NHT Super Two's, in large part because nobody around here sold any of the recommended brands (e.g. Paradigm, B&W) and many of them couldn't be mail-ordered.
I like the Super Two's but I wonder how they compare to similarly priced speakers from Paradigm, Klipsch etc.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I think by far the B&W DM604s are the best bet for this price. I also fully admit to being %100 biased towards british products and especially towards B&W.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Where can you find a pair of B&W DM604s for $800??? The MSRP on these is $1600. They're great speakers (I have a pair) but they're not in this price range.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
I second the Vandersteen recommendation. The 1c should be on your short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks