What's new

Such thing as a horizontal squeeze for widescreen sets? (1 Viewer)

Jim-M

Second Unit
Since some 4:3 TVs can do the vertical squeeze, is it possible for a 16:9 set to do a horizontal squeeze to watch shows or DVDs that have a 1.33 OAR? I've never heard of this on a widescreen set, but it seems like it could reduce the burn-in potential of having those gray bars on the sides. Is this technically possible? It would eliminate one of the concerns of buying a widescreen at this time if you still watch a lot of broadcast TV or have a lot of 1.33 AR DVDs.

Philip____S

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you mean expand and not squeeze on the widescreen? My Toshiba 65HX81 has 5 modes for viewing: standard 4:3 with gray bars on the sides, three stretch/zoom modes to 16:9 which show partial pictures, and full stretch and zoom to 16:9, which is also handy for watching DVDs and widescreen content.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Maybe you mean expand and not squeeze on the widescreen?
No, actually I do mean squeeze. I'm aware of the stretch modes that widescreens have, and some of them I have a hard time telling that the picture is even being stretched. But we have many Disney movies, for example, that have an aspect ratio of 1.33. Ideally I'd like to watch them on a widescreen in their OAR without the gray bars on the side. Some of the Sony 4:3 sets have the vertical squeeze where no lines are scanned above and below the 16:9 area. I'm wondering if it's possible for a widescreen set to not scan to the sides of 4:3 material?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There are some 16:9 TV's that don't have 4:3 mode during progressive scan or HDTV, I suggest you stay away from them. Otherwise you will be cursing sooner or later.
In the horizontal direction it doesn't matter whether the electron beams scan the entire screen width or just the 4:3 area so long as the resolution during 4:3 mode is adequate and there are no problems with convergence or geometry.. Bring your AVIA test disk (Video Essentials doesn't go high enough) and play the 200 TVL resolution pattern. You should see resolution all the way to 540 TVL.
With black bars screen wear would be more uneven leading to more screen burn effects, compared with gray bars.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The 16:9 squeeze on 4:3 sets is totally different from what you want.

Basically you want to watch a 4:3 show on a 16:9 set, but you want it to either

a-Fill the screen

or

b-not have grey bars.

a- You can either stretch the image, or have the TV only scan the 16:9 middle area of the image. Toshiba's do a fantastic job on the stretch from what i hear

or

b- There is a way, at least on Toshiba sets to turn the grey bars black. Do a search on it

or you can use Mattes on your set to block the grey, again search the forum

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks