subwoofer placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David K., Jun 13, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

is this dangerous or bad for my hearing if i decide to place my subwoofers beside me as an end table?

it will be right next to my chair on both sides, i ll have two.

http://www.geocities.com/RnB180/

thats a pic of my current set up, but im wondering if itll give me that bass shaker type experience if i set them up next to me.

2. Glenn Shoemake

Its not dangerous as once it has been properly calibrated it will produce the same sound level in one location as in another (minus the room accoustic variations). Just be sure to calibrate from your main listening position.
    I have Dual SVS Cylinders next to me in a corner and I experience the bass shaking all to often.
    How loud (in db) are you planning on playing your HT? I used Avia to calibrate my system to 85db and play it usually -10db to -15db below reference.

3. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Stunt Coordinator

I have never tried but it can work well according to the few things I have read. It can add close body impact and may help with some phase problems. I will try it out one day if I can find a suitable position that is close by.

PC

4. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

i dont know if you really want to use it as an end table tho. drinks get spilled sometimes, if your sub has an amp i would definatly NOT put anything on it.

Johnny

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Dr. Hsu suggests placement in close proximity to your seating position, such as behind the couch.

I think they may have had a model in the past that worked well as an end table.

BGL