What's new

Subwoofer in the Ceiling (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Though I'm no expert, my first reaction is that's a bad idea.

You want a sub on a solid base, particularly if you want to 'feel' the rumble or punch.

If it is in the ceiling, I would presume that the wood beams would act almost like shock absorbers, reducing the overalll effect. You would lose some of the speakers output plus the cabinet itself would not resonate as well.

The 'rumble' of your woofer would be carried through your ceiling rather than your floor, so you'd not feel them as much. (though anyone UPISTAIRS might!)

I'm sure theres plenty more I'm missing, and I may be incorrect, but IMHO I think you'd be happier the traditional way.

I should ask, for other posters, why you'd want to do that.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Cire, go into the DIY section of this forum and search for IB or Infinite baffle subs. You can make one heck of a sub using your attic space or a closet.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Eric I will have to very much disagree with you.
You do not what a sub's cabinet to resonate, you want it as dead as possible. You only what the driver transferring energy into the room.
A proper manifold properly connected to joists would have no shock absorber effects. If you mount in opposed pairs you won't transfer any mechanical enegry to the joists.
The air movement does the shaking. Won't matter if it's on the roof or floor, if it can move enough air to shake the floor it will.
Finally, Jeffrey has lead Cire in the right direction. Many people whos' ears I very much trust consider an infinite baffel sub the ultimate in sound quality (second only to a dipole sub). I want an infinite baffel, and I do intend to make one happen. Hopefully in the not to distant future. If you can do an infinite baffel, you owe it to yourself to build one.
Everything you need to know about an infinite baffel sub can be found here:
http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475
Note the FAQ and install pics links at the top.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that Dustin is a pretty smart cookie. Maybe someday he'll learn to spell "baffle"! ;)
Sorry Dustin! Couldn't help myself!:D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Soon you're gonna be telling me I'm spelling theatre wrong too aren't you Brian. Don't you know baffle is spelt baffel in Canada :p)
Damn it, I swear I never even noticed I was spelling it differently than everyone else. Even with the big print on the IB Forum. Maybe I am dislexic ;)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I stand corrected about the ceiling sub, though I was not considering the IB. (I am too noob to even have known what it is, thanks for the info! If I had talent I'd try to build one!)

I presumed he wanted to take a box-sub and place it in the ceiling.

I should mention, I'm not looking for a box to resonate. But it absolutely does transfer energy to the floor. Just sit on top of one and feel how much energy is transferred to your jewels!

That transfer may or may not be good, but having it in the ceiling (which usually is less stable then a floor) I'd expect it would only cause more room resonance. Maybe I'm noob, and if I'm wrong (again!) please correct me, but I'm sure others here may be thinking the same and need correcting too. I'm just brave (read:dumb) enough to say it out loud.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dustin,
You Canadians always spell stuff wrong, Ehh ! :D
Hey it's okay I always say "Carbon Fibre" and I live in
the US!
Do you have Tyres on your car? Or Tires? :D
*We now return you to the previously scheduled topic*

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I know that JBL makes a ceiling mount sub. It's a recessed model used in alot of commercial applications. I doubt they'd afford much punch for HT, but they don't sound bad at all in music applications.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
You Canadians are as bad as the Brits with your spelling! :) I won't argue about the spelling of theater as long as you pronounce it correctly! It drives me bonkers when I hear people say "theAter".

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
"I presumed he wanted to take a box-sub and place it in the ceiling."

Yeah, that was what I originally had in mind, but of course with a fully reinforced section of the ceiling for that.

But then, Jeffrey and Dustin's suggestion of a DIY ceiling sub is pretty interesting. Thanks for the ideas!

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
haha, sub in my ceiling. I'd have popcorn spray all over my floor..unfortunately they don't make for a good mid-movie snack. :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
No you are right there Eric. Most commercial subs aren't built solidly enough to not flex.
Try sitting this one, doubt you'll feel much for cabinet vibration from it:
Link Removed
Weighs roughly 350lbs. It's what the Aerial SW12 should have been :p)

GeorgeTW

Stunt Coordinator
In 1985, I purchased a JBL L380. It is one solid piece of furniture! Its shipping box finally succumbed about in 2000, and I am wondering how to create a new one without involving a carpenter :)
Had it reconed last year, fabulous sound still.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks