1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Schaller, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Matt Schaller

Matt Schaller Auditioning

Hello,

I have a Sony 12" Powered Subwoofer (WM40) and I read somewhere online to not use the cables that come with the subwoofer but instead purchase better cables. I believe I also read that the signal will be clearer and the quality will be better. Is this true?

I heard that these cables are called Monster something, but I'm not quite sure. What kind of subwoofer cable would I need, guage wise? Also, where can I get these cables?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Schaller

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Matt: Subwoofer signals are the lowest signals in your system. They do not need a expensive cable. Monster is a brand name that sells a variety of cables. While good quality, there is a lot of mark-up in the price.

You simply need a good coax cable with RCA plugs on the end. If the cable is round and as thick/thicker than your CATV coax - it is likely a coaxial cable.

You can purchase the Acoustic Research brand of cables from places like Best Buy, or the Mega Cable cables from Radio Shack. Both will cost you less than Monster.

You can even build your own by buying some CATV coax with the "F" connectors already installed. Then buy 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors from Radio Shack and you can make a 25 ft cable for under $12.

Good Luck.