What's new

Subwoofer connections (1 Viewer)

Matt Schaller

Auditioning
Hello,

I have a Sony 12" Powered Subwoofer (WM40) and I read somewhere online to not use the cables that come with the subwoofer but instead purchase better cables. I believe I also read that the signal will be clearer and the quality will be better. Is this true?

I heard that these cables are called Monster something, but I'm not quite sure. What kind of subwoofer cable would I need, guage wise? Also, where can I get these cables?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Schaller

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Matt: Subwoofer signals are the lowest signals in your system. They do not need a expensive cable. Monster is a brand name that sells a variety of cables. While good quality, there is a lot of mark-up in the price.

You simply need a good coax cable with RCA plugs on the end. If the cable is round and as thick/thicker than your CATV coax - it is likely a coaxial cable.

You can purchase the Acoustic Research brand of cables from places like Best Buy, or the Mega Cable cables from Radio Shack. Both will cost you less than Monster.

You can even build your own by buying some CATV coax with the "F" connectors already installed. Then buy 2 "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors from Radio Shack and you can make a 25 ft cable for under $12.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks