What's new

Subtitled Commentaries, anyone know which DVDs have 'em? (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Does anyone know how many dvds have subtitled commentaries?
I only just noticed it recently when I was flicking thru the subtitles on my 'Contact' dvd and all 3 commentaries had the subtitle option, I think its a great idea, you can enjoy the film with its sound intact but with the option of 'reading' the commentary, nice! Similar to the factoid subtitles you find on The Abyss and Die Hard dvds, I like it!
Ok ok sometimes its great to listen to famous actors or directors comment and laugh at bits of their movies, but many commentaries are very dry and boring, I also noticed a subtitled commentary on the Fast and the Furious dvd.
Is there anymore?
:emoji_thumbsup:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I am glad that some releases have them. Final Fantasy has it as well.

But I'm annoyed that this isn't a standard. I don't think closed captions will work with the subtitles, am I correct?

I'm sure that people with hearing disabilities would like to know what the directors have to say on some movies, too.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Region 2 Gladiator has this, I believe.

Ghostbusters is a factoid text commentary.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
Buckaroo Banzai's subtitle commentary is a hoot. The Abyss and Star Trek: TMP have informational subtitles.
Wings of Honneamise has a subtitle of the audio commentary. Then again, the audio commentary is in Japanese. :)

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Only 1 out of the 4 commentaries in Final Fantasy is subtitled. The Japanese one is subbed in English and French. Which is nice, I suppose, because most people in region 1 don't speak Japanese.

The English commentary (as I call it...), isolated score/commentary, and boards/blasts commentary unfortunately do not have subtitles.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Amores Perros (commentary in Spanish, subs in English)

Fando and Lis (commentary in Jodorowskian Spanglish, subs in English)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just got the Japanese Region 2 "Jurassic Park III" (ordered from CD Japan on a whim while attempting to get some clearance laserdiscs, which ended up being sold out!) and the commentary is subtitled in both English and Japanese. "Shrek" (Region 1) has the commentary subtitled in English, Spanish and French.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks guys, I also saw somewhere that the commentary on the 'Das Boot' dvd is subtitled, I'm going to watch this great movie again soon and I hope my region 2 copy has the subtitles.
Hmmm now I'm beginning to wonder how many of my dvds have this option of reading the commentary, int-ere-sting...:)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail has an alternate sub for "people who don't like the film"; I believe it's from henry V.

I don't reall know how much I prefer sub'd commentary. On the one hand, it lets you hear what's going on in the film, and also helps when the person commenting has trouble speaking english; on the other hand, It takes away from the visual aspect of the film (you can't really read a book an watch a movie at the same time, no matter how hard you try), plus the fact that when you limit a commentary to text, you limit the ability of a personality to come across (we all know how easy it is to mistake sarcasm in text).

I suppose there isn't really anything stopping studios from adding them, so I'll take them when I can get them; I just hope no one puts text commentaries on disc at the expense of audio comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks