What's new

Sub-woofer vs. Infinite Baffle (1 Viewer)

paulWinkler

Auditioning
Here's my dilemma:
I purchased an M&K S-150 THX 5.1 system in September, which came complete with a reference-standard THX MX-150 MKII 150 watt powered subwoofer, FR 20 Hz - 200 Hz, selectable low pass filters, push-pull dual 12" long-throw drivers, magnetically shielded. Ok. So I own it. It's mine. Done deal.

Now my a/v installers are strongly recommending that I locate my sub in the attic over my home theater room, which is 25' X 19' with 10' ceilings.

First, this sub typically sits on a solid floor. If I let them put it in the attic, they plan to vent to the room through a grilled opening of some sort. Would the sub stand on or above this grill in the same way it would have in the room or would it be placed face down so the front of the sub would be directed through the grill into the room?

Second, should I just store the sub somewhere and build an infinite baffle? I have no experience with them, but from what I've read on the Cult website, they seem to be ideal for attic installations. I guess an extension of that idea would be whether to cannibalize the M&K sub to make an infinite baffle...?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Do you mind the back wave reaching the rest of the house thru the attic? If so use your present sub.

Demetrius

Agent
I am planning on installing an IB when the Adire Tumults become available again, I think they are on back order. I am using a Sunfire Ultimate EQ sub currently and am very pleased with it. My HT is 17 X 23 X 10 and feel the same way that the IB would be a significant upgrade in low frequency. I haven't heard of putting a boxed sub in an IB configuration, the port is probably not going to be matched properly. I would think about using the parts and creating a properly sized box for the 12" drivers.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I have an IB in my HT room which is 16'x26' with 8.5' ceilings. The thing is unbelievable. I use 2 Dayton DVC 15" IB drivers and the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp. I can get 10hz tones at 95 decibels with only 250 watts, amazing. You can't hear it, but you certainly can feel it. The total cost was around $350.00 for something that destroys most floor standing subs. The sound is effortless deep bass. If you go this route you should really budget for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer as you'll need to equalize the freqs. Add another 130.00 or so and the cost is under 500.00.

If you look at the gallery over at the Infinitely Baffled site you'll see how the sub is configured. Mine has the two drivers facing each other between the ceiling joists. This helps cancel out vibration of the structure. The box fits between the joists and has an opening in the ceiling of 23"x23". I have a fabric covered frame covering the vent and it's unnoticable in the ceiling. The back of the drivers are open to the attic and the universe which acts as your infinitely sized box. This is a built in sub and not easily removed, just 2 or more drivers in a MDF box between the ceiling joists.

When playing loudly, I can hear sort of a muted rumble outside, but it doesn't bother anyone. The neighbors probably wonder where the noise is coming from. I don't worry about it. You can hear rumbling throught the house when it is loud, but the same goes for any sub, otherwise it's normal.

As far as cannibalizing your current sub: Don't. Get some drivers meant for the IB install and use the sub somewhere else.

I would not hesitate to build another IB, simply unbelievable. Go for it.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Sell your sub and use the funds to buy the proper parts for an IB, M&K makes good subs (I've heard them) but not to the level of an IB (heard these as well).

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for IB. Simple for a clean install, incredible SQ, and low end that will make you sick:D. Maybe two tempests(with two sides big enough to hold another pair if you need an upgrade) in a manifold. I also vote against butchering the M&K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks