1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Sub Woofer - B & W Asw-2500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Any input on this sub? It sounds great in the store. I would replace my Klipsch KSW-15 with this which I think would be a far superior move considering the brand.

What think you?

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Sorry, shameless bump. I really would like input from someone with experience.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Phil,

Do you have any opposition to SVS subs? Granted, the B&W would take up less space. I had a chance to audition a B&W sub yesterday where the movie Shrek was being played on a nice plasma screen. I don't recall the model # of the B&W sub, the price was in the range of $1,500. I guess for $1,500, I wasn't very impressed. Granted, I didn't get a "full" audition where I could have watched several movies with it in addition to checking it out for its abilities with music.

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Wayne,

Indeed I have considered SVS subs as they seem to get great reviews. My local audio store stocks B & W and I really like the sound of this particular on at their store. I can get this sub for about $920 and get credit for my Klipsch KSW-15 I bought their this year. However I do have many options and do not want to jump at something that "looks like a good deal".

I have also heard that a smaller sub is more musical. My current 15" digs to 24Hz and the little 10" B & W digs to 22Hz. I am confused:b .

5. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Phil, the B&W is a good musical sub. Your Klipsh (at least the one I heard at a store locally) is not that great of a sub.

It's good, but not up there in the ranks with the reference series or with other 15's like the velo's and paradigm.

See if you can audition other subs to get a feel for the differences. I would suggest checking out a paradigm servo-15, a velo cht-15 or the F series. And probably the paradigm pw2200. Just see how you like those before you commit. And see if someone in your area has an SVS or an HSU. I have heard all of these subs, and they all are "different" and great in their own respect. And it depends on what you like. Since you like the B&W I think you would like the servo-15 and probably the HSU and SVS subs.

I really think the difference to your klipsh will be greatly noticeable. I found the klipsh to be bloated chunky and puffy.