What's new

Sub is on the way, any tips for setting it up? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I had acoustic visions build me a custom sub with a Shiva driver similiar to Rob Lloyd's here: Link Removed I have the Avia disc but is there a website or something I should use specifically for the sub or the sound portion in general besides the disc. Any tips on connections and setup would be greatly appreciated. I have an Onkyo 595 receiver, Polk CS400i center, Eosone RSF400 mains, and Energy eXL 15 as surrounds.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The two most important issues are placement and calibration.

You may need to experiment with various subwoofer locations to really optimize it's potential. Don't forget to recalibrate it with each position change too!

I would also start out with all speakers set to small.

TV

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Well the thing is that it can really only go one place. Sadly my system is relegated to my bedroom and there is only one spot on the floor for it. It will have to go on the left front side of the bed in front of a speaker. Not directly in front but very close. I'm wondering if I should raise it up or leave it on the carpet. My setup is like this: laying on my bed (queen size) you have the tv about a foot and some inches past the end of the bed. Front speakers on either side with center channel on the tv. Rear speakers are mounted on side walls facing bed. The right side of the bed is where the closet and door is so I can't put it there. The only place I can put it is on the left side of the bed a foot or so in front of left front speaker. I'm kind of stuck with placement. :frowning:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
This can still work fine,
Just be sure to take the time to optimize the phase setting of the subwoofer...and don't forget to calibrate the whole system with a SPL meter.Leaving the sub on the ground will probably work best...but since this is your only option regarding placement experimentation...you might give it a shot as time allows:) (just be sure the sub is secure as you begin to raise if off the floor!)
What are the room dimensions?
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks