What's new

Sub for my SX-HTBs? (1 Viewer)

Sean Mc

Agent
This is my first post here, but I've read a LOT of posts over the past week or so and am very glad I found this place.

Anyway, I recently decided to get my first HT setup and have already purchased a HK 325-Z for the receiver and Fluance SX-HTBs for the speakers. I'm in college and it looked like Fluance was a good option for a lot of speakers for the money. (A guy down the hall got the AV-HTB set based on a suggestion from me, and I was pretty impressed).

This is actually move-out week for us, and I'm not going to have much access to the internet over the summer, so I was hoping I could get one last bit of advice before I left.

My dorm room is about oh... 15'x12' with 9' ceilings. I plan to use it for 50/50 music/movies.

Right now I've been using a set of Logitech z-560 computer speakers, that have a 188watt rms 8" sub. The guy down the hall with the other fluance set has a 250 watt 12" JBL sub.

The JBL is much to powerful for my taste when he turns it up, but I don't think he's even tried to calibrate it or anything.

I'm looking for a sub that has nice performance for the money, but isn't going to get me on the housefellow's bad side.

My budget is probably going to be under $250, and I'm wondering if I'd be making a poor decision getting the $120-ish dayton 10" sub for the room. I've heard great things about it here, and I'm excited to try it out. I figured if I wanted more bass in the future, I could add a second one.

Would I be better off getting maybe a sony wm-40 if I could find it? VX-10? Other good options?

What about 2 daytons? How would that compare to a single $250 sub?

I'm looking for good sounding bass, not necessarily the loudest I can get.

Sorry this post is so long, I guess I rambled quite a bit, thanks ahead of time for any help you guys can give me.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I like my Dayton and it's a steal for $109. Can't imagine that you'd need much more in a dorm room. I'm listening to mine right now with some good old fashioned head-banging rock and roll. UFO. You probably never head of them if you're just now in college. Great metal band from the 70s and 80s. But I digress...

Sean Mc

Agent
Anything else from anybody? I might be leaving tomorrow morning, so this might be my last chance for input.

Anyone tried 2 daytons? That's the most important thing I want to know... How 2 daytons would compare to a single sub that cost the same combined.

Joey_V

Second Unit
im confused - u say that the jbl u heard it too powerful and u want to know about 2 daytons?

im guessing by ur taste of not too much bass - 1 dayton would be good enough. besides, if u are used to only the logitech sub - u should be in for a treat as it is.

Sean Mc

Agent
I guess what I said didn't make too much sense...

I didn't mention that for when I'm not at the dorm, I'm going to be set up in my basement at home, which is maybe 30'x(10' to 25') and leakage into other rooms of the basement. I'm worried in that situation that the dayton might not be enough.

I'm wondering if it would be a good buy to get a single dayton 10" and see how that sounded, and if it wasn't enough, add a second... or if it would be better value to just get a single sub for about $250.

Joey_V

Second Unit
dont worry about being in the dorms - look at my dorm sub - an SVS PC+. i always turn it down most of the time, unless it's the weekend or whatnot.

dual subs are harder to position and calibrate than a single sub - so always keep that in mind. however, daytons are very well regarded for their price and i am sure that u wont be disappointed with one, let alone two.

if i were u, i would get 1 dayton sub, then if it isnt enough, get another one - colocate the two and be done.

or u can get two, have both running when u are at home, and bring only one back to school when u go back as to not bother your dormmates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks