Sub for 70/30 Movies Music

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason Fulton, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

Alright, I'm currently looking for a sub either 10 or 12, I can power with 270watts at 4 ohms. It needs to be in a small box, so I'm thinking sealed, which is sort of why I'm asking this question. Will I be able to fill up a relatively big room, 25-30 by 15 with a sub this small? I'm not talking making it hard to breathe, but just so everywhere in the room you can atleast hear a decent amount of bass. I really don't want this thing over a cube, 1.5 cubes max. I figure if I cornerload it that should also help the volume quite a bit. Anyway I'm considering any sub under about 150. If there is enough support behind the AV12 I could muscle up the extra money. I'm thinking shiva, titanic mkII 10, few other cheaper dayton drivers. Any other opinions? I am quite experienced in car audio, so I can design the enclosure and all, I'm simply looking for advice from people that know how a sub will act in a house rather than a moving piece of aluminum [​IMG] Thanks Guys.

PS. Finals are killing me, I meant to write 30% Movies 70% Music, Thanks.

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

If you are limited to a 1 to 1.5 cube enclosure you might want to go with a passive radiator design. Here is a link to a forum discussing the GR Research PR sub. It is designed for a 2.4 cu.ft box but will give you an F3 of 25.5Hz in a 1.5 cubic feet box. Sub and PR for less than $150.

3. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

Thanks a Lot !!

But is there any sub I could replace that with in order to achieve a 4ohm load rather than 8? The sub really would not be getting more than 150rms at 8.

4. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

25x30x15 is a pretty darn large room. A single 10" or 12" will have a tough time filling that room.

5. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

It is more like 20 x 15, it also is a dorm room, so it has concrete walls which won't absorb much sound. I guess I am not as worried about filling the entire room with bass as I am having it pretty small and sounding good, atleast within a reasonable range around the sub.

6. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Tempest sealed mid-Q.

My understanding is that PR are not great for music due to slow excursion/response time or something to that nature. (I'm no expert, just trying to remember what I've read when I did my research a year back)

7. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

I think the tempest enclosure is going to be quite a bit too large. 120 liters is pretty freaking big IMO. Maybe I should alter my initial request to simply a sub that is better for music and HT, and volume is not necessarily a huge factor.

8. Marshall_M

Marshall_M Extra

www dot billfitzmaurice dot com

Check out the Auto Tuba and the Tuba 18 plans. More complicated to build than a sealed box but the cost of the driver(MCM 8" for $35) and 100W amp(PE has them for $100) makes it worth considering. Check out the forum there for others opinions.

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Might want to checkout Rythmic Audio and their products.

They offer a fairly low buck TL circuit as an option. That allows better low bass performance from small boxes. The quality of their products is good, they've been around a while, and their products have a proven track record