What's new

Sub for 70/30 Movies Music (1 Viewer)

Jason Fulton

Agent
Alright, I'm currently looking for a sub either 10 or 12, I can power with 270watts at 4 ohms. It needs to be in a small box, so I'm thinking sealed, which is sort of why I'm asking this question. Will I be able to fill up a relatively big room, 25-30 by 15 with a sub this small? I'm not talking making it hard to breathe, but just so everywhere in the room you can atleast hear a decent amount of bass. I really don't want this thing over a cube, 1.5 cubes max. I figure if I cornerload it that should also help the volume quite a bit. Anyway I'm considering any sub under about 150. If there is enough support behind the AV12 I could muscle up the extra money. I'm thinking shiva, titanic mkII 10, few other cheaper dayton drivers. Any other opinions? I am quite experienced in car audio, so I can design the enclosure and all, I'm simply looking for advice from people that know how a sub will act in a house rather than a moving piece of aluminum :) Thanks Guys.

PS. Finals are killing me, I meant to write 30% Movies 70% Music, Thanks.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
If you are limited to a 1 to 1.5 cube enclosure you might want to go with a passive radiator design. Here is a link to a forum discussing the GR Research PR sub. It is designed for a 2.4 cu.ft box but will give you an F3 of 25.5Hz in a 1.5 cubic feet box. Sub and PR for less than $150.

Jason Fulton

Agent
Thanks a Lot !!

But is there any sub I could replace that with in order to achieve a 4ohm load rather than 8? The sub really would not be getting more than 150rms at 8.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
25x30x15 is a pretty darn large room. A single 10" or 12" will have a tough time filling that room.

Jason Fulton

Agent
It is more like 20 x 15, it also is a dorm room, so it has concrete walls which won't absorb much sound. I guess I am not as worried about filling the entire room with bass as I am having it pretty small and sounding good, atleast within a reasonable range around the sub.

cacu

Stunt Coordinator
Tempest sealed mid-Q.

My understanding is that PR are not great for music due to slow excursion/response time or something to that nature. (I'm no expert, just trying to remember what I've read when I did my research a year back)

Jason Fulton

Agent
I think the tempest enclosure is going to be quite a bit too large. 120 liters is pretty freaking big IMO. Maybe I should alter my initial request to simply a sub that is better for music and HT, and volume is not necessarily a huge factor.

Marshall_M

Grip
www dot billfitzmaurice dot com

Check out the Auto Tuba and the Tuba 18 plans. More complicated to build than a sealed box but the cost of the driver(MCM 8" for $35) and 100W amp(PE has them for $100) makes it worth considering. Check out the forum there for others opinions.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Might want to checkout Rythmic Audio and their products.

They offer a fairly low buck TL circuit as an option. That allows better low bass performance from small boxes. The quality of their products is good, they've been around a while, and their products have a proven track record

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks