What's new

Sub finish update! (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
*EDIT* Final Update below. (quick link)
---------------------------------------------

Well all I can say is that I LOVE Minwax Polyshade! It does obscure the grain because it is a tented poly but it has done wonders on blending my blotchy stained maple.

[c]Here is a shot with only the Bahlen Med Walnut dye/Minwax dark walnut oil stain applied. Notice the blothyness on the left of the first photo and on the sub front:

And here it is after 2 coats of Antique Walnut Polyshade:

[/c]

The photos are still making it look a little red. And the grain is more pronounced in real life. Here is the closest "color correct" shot:

[c] [/c]

And here is a shot of my Armoire door I was trying to match the sub to.

Pretty close!

Sorry for all the photos. I get carried away sometimes. It's called Patman's syndrome! ;)

Take care,

Ronnie

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Great job, Ronnie! I think it looks very nice. Your craftsmanship is outstanding as well....I wish I could build something that nice!

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Andy,

I used a good ol' fashioned coffee can to pour the polyshade into and a Purdy brand 2.5" WHITE CHINA BRISTLE Brush from Home Depot.

I am hoping Santa brings me a HPLV sprayer for X-mas, but I don't think it's in his budget... :frowning:

Ronnie

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Darren! The compressor is the kicker on the deal for me. I can do the $139 for the gun. But my little PC pancake would not even come close to being up to the task of HVLP spraying... :frowning:

Have you seen, used or read anything on the Campbell Hausfeld HV2000 HVLP sprayer?

Ronnie

Darren_T

Second Unit
I'm not familiar with the Campell Hausfeld sprayer so I cannot comment on it. I spray with my conversion gun and a Quincey 4hp 20gal compressor without any problems. You don't need a huge compressor but a pancake compressor would be a bit of a problem though. You could spray with it but you'd have to pause quite a bit which isn't desireable.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Ronnie,

I have a Campbell Hausfeld HVLP sprayer, and I love it. I'm not sure of the model- I'll try to check it. I have used it to paint some built in bookcases I built, and it did a great job. Haven't used it for stain, but it came with different needles for stain application.

Darren_T

Second Unit
How much did the Quincy set you back? $$$
They aren't cheap... about $450.00 for the 20gal. It is a true cast iron oiled compressor so it is quiet! I love it. Quiet and it recharges rather quickly. I can actually talk over the noise while standing right beside it. No need to shout :)

You could get a Campbell Hausfeld compressor for a couple hundred that would do the job.

DustinF

Agent
Did you just apply the Miniwax Ployshade over the other stain or did you do any stripping?

I also have a mahogany stained Tempest/coffee table made from cherry and it looks horible. Very blotchy. I can't sand it down because the sides and front are 1/4 cherry plywood.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
No stripping at all. I applied a coat of wipe-on poly to seal the dye/stain and let that dry over night. I then applied 2 coats of the polyshade, 24 hours apart. I am going to apply a top coat of normal simi-gloss poly tonight. I think the polyshade is not as hard as normal poly and I want the protection. The sub is going to double as an end table and I know drink glasses will be placed on it at one time or another.

Be sure to test the polyshade out on some scrap first! Also I do not think polyshade by itself on raw wood is very pretty. But it did a great job at blending my already blothy walnut stained maple.

FYI: Here is the FAQ form minwax's site on polyshade:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the advantage of Polyshades®?

Polyshades® combines stain for beautiful color with polyurethane for tough protection in one product. It is an ideal choice for those who want to save the time involved in staining with one product and protecting with another.

Q. Should Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner be used as a pretreatment prior to Polyshades®?

Yes, if the wood being stained is soft or porous. Soft or porous woods, such as pine or aspen, tend to absorb stain unevenly. Before using Polyshades® on soft or porous woods, Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner should be applied to ensure even stain penetration.

Q. Can Polyshades® be applied over an existing finish?

Yes, as long as the previous finish is not lacquer or shellac. Be sure to test the selected color on a hidden spot to see how it will look over the original finish. To prepare the surface, make sure that the finish is clean and has had all wax and polish removed. Then lightly sand with #180 or #220 sandpaper. The surface is now ready to be coated with Polyshades®.

Q. Can Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Wipe-On Poly be applied over Polyshades®?

Yes. Since Polyshades® contains polyurethane, additional protection, without added color, can be provided with a clear coat of Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Wipe-On Poly over the last coat of Polyshades®.

Q. Can Polyshades® be used on floors?

Polyshades® is not recommended for use on floors. Instead, stain with Minwax® Wood Finish™ and topcoat with Minwax® Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors or Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane.

http://www.minwax.com/products/onest...shades-faq.cfm

Ronnie

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
My Tempest is back in it's resting place. If I had to do the finish over again, I would stop at one coat of the Polyshade. The second coat made it darker than my Armoire and obscures the gain to much for my liking. Also I would have thinned it with Mineral Spirits before applying.

But the wife likes the color and darkness of the sub BETTER than the Armoire I was trying to match! :rolleyes

She's happy, I'm happy! :D

BEFORE: (you can see it in the lower right corner. I never took any good final raw MDF pics with my temporary duct-taped 4" legs.) :)

AFTER:

Now I need to move the BFD to the attic and move the wall plate to behind the sub.

OT: here is a random shot for Patrick, just because... :)

Ronnie

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ronnie,

Looking good man! Now you're a computer geek and a woodworking geek!:) BTW, if I don't ask my wife will kill me. What's the cat's name? :)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Brian, The cat's name is Scout, as in "To Kill A Mockingbird."

She was a 2 year old feral stray a animal lovin' friend of mine found in his rural neighborhood about a year ago. Now she is just a Ferrell. ;)

You would never know now that she had been a wild stray. She is the most loving cat now. At first she hid under the bed for about a month. Then one day she decided we were cool enough and plopped down on the couch next to us. I had to take a quick shot of it:

She is still a little shy with new people but turned into a really good mannered lap cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks