What's new

Sub EQ hookup - TRS cable? (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
After taking advice from some of you on using an EQ, I purchased a Rane PE 17 eq for my sub to eliminate my 20db spike between 20 and 35hz.

The manual calls for a TRS cable. Is that the same as an RCA cable?

All I have to do is run my recievers sub output to the input of the EQ, then take the output of the EQ to the sub, right?

I did a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Michael.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
TRS Means Tip, Ring, Sleeve, referring to the contact areas of the plug. But in laymans terms its a normal 1/4" stereo phone plug.

I assume the Rane is like the Behringer, which requires a 1/4" mono phone plug.

But, TRS would suggest that its two channel, like a full size stereo headphone plug. A mono version would lack the "ring". I expect that the Rane does require a normal mono connector, but you best consult the literature.

In any event, what I did with the Behringer was use standard RCA cables with a RCA to 1/4" adapter on the EQ side, although you can also buy cables with RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other.

BGL

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Brian.

I had another question, but I just spoke to Eric at SVS. He told me that all I need are two RCA to 1/4" MONO adapters.

So I guess I am good to go.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nope – the Rane is a mono unit. With pro audio gear TRS (tip, ring sleeve) is used for balanced connections. However, a regular mono 1/4” plug will work fine.

I’d take a pass on those cheesy RCA-1/4” adapters. Get a cable with the right connectors on both ends, like this:

Check Radio Shack or your local guitar shop. You can split the stereo cable, and you’re good to go for in-and-out.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne,

The BFD was mentioned in a previous post of mine. After reading a little about the BFD, I got the impression that it did nothing for frequencys below 20Hz. I wanted to be able to adjust to 15Hz or so...then I saw a Rane unit on Ebay, which I got for around $200 shipped....then it became a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks