Sub EQ hookup - TRS cable?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Michael Varacin, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

After taking advice from some of you on using an EQ, I purchased a Rane PE 17 eq for my sub to eliminate my 20db spike between 20 and 35hz.

The manual calls for a TRS cable. Is that the same as an RCA cable?

All I have to do is run my recievers sub output to the input of the EQ, then take the output of the EQ to the sub, right?

I did a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Michael.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

TRS Means Tip, Ring, Sleeve, referring to the contact areas of the plug. But in laymans terms its a normal 1/4" stereo phone plug.

I assume the Rane is like the Behringer, which requires a 1/4" mono phone plug.

But, TRS would suggest that its two channel, like a full size stereo headphone plug. A mono version would lack the "ring". I expect that the Rane does require a normal mono connector, but you best consult the literature.

In any event, what I did with the Behringer was use standard RCA cables with a RCA to 1/4" adapter on the EQ side, although you can also buy cables with RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other.

BGL

3. Michael Varacin

Thanks for the info Brian.

I had another question, but I just spoke to Eric at SVS. He told me that all I need are two RCA to 1/4" MONO adapters.

So I guess I am good to go.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nope – the Rane is a mono unit. With pro audio gear TRS (tip, ring sleeve) is used for balanced connections. However, a regular mono 1/4” plug will work fine.

I’d take a pass on those cheesy RCA-1/4” adapters. Get a cable with the right connectors on both ends, like this:

[​IMG]

Check Radio Shack or your local guitar shop. You can split the stereo cable, and you’re good to go for in-and-out.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Michael Varacin

Thanks Wayne,

The BFD was mentioned in a previous post of mine. After reading a little about the BFD, I got the impression that it did nothing for frequencys below 20Hz. I wanted to be able to adjust to 15Hz or so...then I saw a Rane unit on Ebay, which I got for around $200 shipped....then it became a no brainer.