What's new

sub calibration considerations? (1 Viewer)

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I recently adjusted my denon 3802 speaker level settings using VE and a radioshack analog meter. I believe I've read in the past that the meter reads 3 db lower than the actual and that VE is ajusted so that if you calibrate to 75db you are actually setting it at 85db. Is this true? So if the sound meter measures 75 across the board you are really setting it at 88db?
Please help-

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The radioshack sound level meter does read about 3dB low in the range of frequencies typically sent to the subwoofer. So if your meter reads 75dB on all the speakers and 75dB on the subwoofer, then your sub is actually running about 3dB above the mains.
Now as far as the 75dB/85dB thing goes, there's a common misconception that may be confusing you. "Reference level" is not 85dB. Nor is it 75dB. Reference level is the level that the director or recording engineer deems appropriate for a particular recording.
The test tones on the Video Essentials DVD are recorded such that when they are played at reference level they will be 75dB. So if you calibrate at 75dB with VE then you are calibrating at reference level. If you use that volume position to watch a movie, then you'll be watching the movie at reference level.
In a similar fashion, the test tones on the Avia DVD are recorded such that when they are played at reference level they will be 85dB. So if you calibrate at 85dB with Avia then you are calibrating at reference level.
So if the sound meter measures 75 across the board you are really setting it at 88db?
No. You're setting your speakers to reference level and your subwoofer 3dB over reference level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks