What's new

sub cable = digital coax = video cable ? (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I am in the process of upgrading from 16 gauge to 12 gauge speaker wire, and have a cable questions. With all of these upgrades, I am looking to stay cheap. I don't buy into the most expensive cabling hype for my mid-fi equipment, but if I can see some improvements, I am game.

I currently have an older Monster video cable between my dvd player and my receiver. Should I upgrade to a specific digital coax?

I currently have an older Monster Interlink 300 audio cable for my sub cable. Would I benefit from a digital coax here as well, or a video cable or even a specific sub cable? I only need a very short run.

Greg

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I would say that you certainly might get better video results from going with a quality coax. Not sure of your Monster cables construction but it might not be a solid core coax and could be of questionable design. Your sub cable is fine IMO and I don't think you would notice a difference going with another cable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Keep the monster for the coaxial digital, video cable is the same as coaxial digital, though I found this past weekend that not ALL cables work: my friend did not have a coaxial cable, so we tried out a cheapo comes-in-the-box video cable, and it did not work at all. Since yours is working, I wouldn't change it.

Digital coax cable is not what you would use for a sub cable, this is an analog signal, not digital. You could use RG59 or RG6, though you might see a slight benefit from a well constructed cable here. Maybe try a bluejeans sub cable? ~$15 for 2 foot :)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
it will work fine. in fact, it's exactly what bluejeancable is going to sell you for analog cables. 75ohm coax is 75ohm coax; whether used for digital or analog signals. "digital coax" is a misnomer.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/pages/.../1505Ftech.htm

your current sub cable (monster 300) is fine, and may, indeed, already be 75ohm coax cable. and the same may be true of your current video cable, especially since it's working fine.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Digital audio, composite, component & sub cable is the same thing. Coaxial 75Ohm. It's also used for TV/radio/Sat downfeeds, and networking.

Some people use coaxial cable for subwoofer due to the longer lengths, as it has better RFI rejection than standard analogue cable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Just saying there's no reason to use a (probably more expensive) mass market coasial digital cable when the same thing when called a "sub" cable costs less and does the same thing.

GregBe

Second Unit
Thanks,

I understand now that a digital coax and a video cable and a sub cable are essentially the same thing, just labeled differently. I will keep my video cable as my link between the DVD player and the receiver. The current cable I am using for a sub cable is actually a Moster Interlink 400 cable though, which is an audio cable. It seems to be working fine. Can I consider this good enough, or would I do better with one of the above.

Greg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Scott sort-of corrected John, but let me start from the beginning to make sure everyone is clear:

Digital coax, and video cables *need* to be 75ohm cables. This makes them essentially the same thing, when you buy something labeled "digital coax" or "video" it is a 75ohm coaxial cable.

Analog audio cables can be whatever. This means that while some often *are* 75ohm anyway, unless you know that they are 75ohm, you should limit their use to analog audio uses. This includes the sub cable (which is the least demanding of all the cables). So unless your audio cables *are* 75ohm coax cables, you should not use them for video or digital coax connections, or you may get video ghosting, or audio dropouts, or other such problems.

However, you *can* use 75ohm cables for analog audio just fine, as analog audio need not be specific.

I hope that makes sense! :emoji_thumbsup:

EricB

Agent

That was the question I had in mind when I was deciding on how to connect my CD player to my receiver.

So now, I'm using RG-6 as a (1) sub cable, (2) digital audio cable for my DVD, and (3) analog interconnect for my CD player.

GregBe

Second Unit
Thanks Chris,

That makes it clear. I will continue to use my Monster Video Cable for my digital coax, and my Monster audio cable for my sub cable, unless someone has any reasons I should not.

Greg

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that sounds fine greg.

As noted, you should think of anything labeled a "digital coax" or a "video" cable as just a 75ohm cable and use that in any application that requires a 75ohm cable (digital coax, and video). Anything that is analog audio, you can use whatever, just try to use a quality cable. The sub is probably the least-demanding of any interconnect.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sub cable may be the least demanding, but it still shouldn't be "el-cheapo". A decent cable should still be used, but don't break the bank :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks