What's new

Sub $500 reccomendations for a receiver (1 Viewer)

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
I am looking to upgrade my current receiver that does not have HDMI to one that does. Currently we have a cable box and a PS3 pretty much only used as a DVD player. I will be getting a actual blu-ray player here soon but want to purchase a receiver first.

Now here is what Im looking for.

1 )5.1 - Dont need 7.1... Anything more is a plus.

2) HDMI so I can keep wires to a minium.

3) I want to be able to connect something like a Wii (to the receiver) and be able to still use the HDMI to the TV and not have to run more wires to the TV. This way the TV stays on one input and all the switching takes place on the receiver.

4) Audyssey MultEQ

5) Looking for less than 100w @ 8 ohms

I have a 42" Samsung LCD, Mirage Nanosat speakers and a Klipsch Synergy SUB-12 . Want to get the most out of the combo as possible. This is a daily system and in my living room. We do watch alot of movies but it is not just a HT.

I have found a few but am torn because of negative reviews and trying to understand all the technical mumbo jumbo, to make sure #3 on my list is being met.

Denon AVR-1911

Denon AVR-591

Denon AVR-1611

Onkyo TX-SR508

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Well, heck, that's easy Jason... the 1911, of course. It has more features and watts. If it is in your price range, why consider a lesser model Denon? That's going to make a nice system. The 1911 also has HD radio, which I consider a plus.

Nick

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
So it looks like that Denon would be the top of the line of Denon I can afford right now.

What about the Onkyo receivers? Something like the TX-SR607 or maybe even Marantz SR5004? Both of those are also in my price range.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They're both last years model so they won't support 3D or have the latest gee-whizz features but they are both solid receivers. I'd still go with the 1911, though.

If you didn't already know ac4l.com handles Onkyo and Marantz factory refurbished models with nice prices and dakmart.com carries Denon's refurbs (prices aren't all that great though).

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Some of my choices were from ac4l actually gene. I'm thinking that is a very good place to buy from with how much they are talked about on here. Chris, that is a thought but honestly, $500 is pushing it for me after just spending $450 on the satellites.

Armand_Boivin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
armand Boivin
I thought I would just post since I am also beginning to look at a new reciever.. currently i have an old Outlaw 1050 and will need to be able to get something that will be able to pass HDMI to the projector system i am looking at. I would like to get the best bang for the buck but dont want to spend a ton.. if I can keep it under $500 it would be great. I am open to all brands since it has been a while since I have seriously looked into updating my system. I will be upgrading speakers once I get back to the states.

I will look into the Denon that has been recommended here.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
My local best buy has the 1911 marked down with a open box buy but still want $430 for it. I talked to the manager of the magnolia se toon where it was and he wouldn't budge from the price. Guess I'll continue to shop for it online ;) I did get to play with the 1611 they had hooked up and was pretty impressed compared to my yamaha 5960.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks