What's new

Please help me pick a receiver!!!! (1 Viewer)

Chemikalburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrod Duncan
I'm getting the Polk Audio RM20's with the PSW303 sub and I need to buy a new receiver. My current setup is an old Onkyo H.T.I.A.B. and I am over it's shitty sound/problems. I've decided on the Polk RM20's b/c my friend can get them for 349.00 and for that price I can't pass em up. I'm looking to get a Yamaha or Denon receiver but can't find the right one for me. There are too many choices.

I'm looking to get a 7.1. I'm going to buy 2 sats separate from the 5 speaker package. So if my calculations are correct the max power for the speakers - the sub is 1050. Do I need a receiver that is atleast that powerful? or is that not needed?

If anyone has any reccomendations please please PLEASE help me out. I'm looking to keep it around $500 for the receiver. Thanks alot everyone!

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
Well, I have owned Denon receivers for +10 years. They are great sounding units - very clean, smooth and powerful.

One issue: for me, they have not been reliable. Denon service is very poor IMO too. Send anything back and wait for months!

I just bought an Onkyo SR805 that I am currently hooking up. Most reviews are good except for heat.

Apparently, some of the higher-end Yamaha and Pioneers are supposed to be good also.

Good luck!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't be too concerned about a speakers power handling. Buy good quality equipment and do a proper setup/calibration (choosing the appropriate cross-over is essential) and you won't have any problems.

Chemikalburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrod Duncan
Thanks alot everyone! I think I'm going with the Yamaha 663, I was looking into that one before the suggestion, so that's good. I've read/heard good things about it.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Kind of having second thoughts on my 663. Purchased last weekend, the only thing I didn't like was having only 2 HDMI inputs. Was just going to go the switcher route when/if I needed more inputs. But now I see Onkyo just released the TX-SR606 which has 4 HDMI inputs for around the same price as a 663. It does lose some other features found on the 663 like pre-outs, 2nd subwoofer output to name a few, but I doubt I'd use those anyway. Guess I'm gonna have to try out the 606 and return the one I don't like.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am in the very same boat. I got my new TV in 2006, and it's time for a new receiver. My venerable DSP-A1 has served me for TEN YEARS now, and I'd like to upgrade.

I do NOT have a huge listening space, but I like the bells and whistles. Most of my limited research has shown that power increases as the # of features goes up. I wants the features, but 100W per channel at 7.1 is fine by me. More than that is wasted power :)

My requirements for the receiver are:
HDMI in(at least two in, preferably three or four)
HDMI out (only need one out)
Internal processing of dts-MA, TrueHD, and any other HD audio
DPL II
iPod

I wouldn't mind an video upscaler in the receiver, though I use my HD-A1 as my DVD player now. I'll be connecting the HD-A1 (for a while at least), my PS3, a Blu Ray player to be named later, and my XBOX 360 (Elite with HDMI) to it via HDMI. I primarily use it for movies. I use a pretty old set of speakers...Atlantic Technology 2500 (I think...from about 1996, THX cert, two subwoofers).

Anyways, I'm looking at Pioneer and Onkyo, but am open to anything. I have to spend less than $1800 or so.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

chuckg

Supporting Actor

there is no such thing as wasted power. If you really only need 100W, and only have 100W, then you have no "headroom" and you are likely operating your amplifier at a level which increases distortion; perhaps to audible levels.

If, however, you need 100W and have 200W, then you've got about 3 dB of headroom, and you are running with significantly less distortion and noise. Need 100 and have 1000, then you get 10 dB headroom or double the loudness.

You will find that some amplifiers say 100W, 1.0% THD and another, usually significantly more costly amp, will say 100W 0.01% THD. Are both really 100W? well, they both might produce 100W, but the second amp will do so with less noise, and the second amp will probably be able to hit 250W with no more noise than the first amp.

There is a reason why more power and more features go hand in hand...you get more for more.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Roger all, chuck, and I appreciate the education.

My DSP-A1 never rises past 9 o'clock (except maybe a bit here and there) on the dial (starting at 7 o'clock and ending at 4 o'clock - about). I have plenty of headroom for my space right now (with 120W, I believe).

gebby44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Having tried many of the recent offerings from the main brands, I found that Marantz and Pioneer offered the best overall mix for music and movies. Take a listen to any of the newer Marantz receivers (from the x500, x001, and x002 series) and I think you'll be presently surprised. Having tried the onkyo 605, 705, and 805 and yamaha 663, I think that they were only subpar compared to the Marantz SR6001 and 7001, which can be for around $500 on ebay. Also may wanna try Pioneer 1017 or VSX-82, which can be had for around $500 as well. Just a thought. Good luck with the new receiver!

HT ROB

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert

Chuck we considered the Pioneer and Onkyo but went with Denon's 3808 and we love it. The 3808 falls within your requirements also.
We considered the 875 but we just didnt feel good about the heat issue everyone talked about. I will say it sounded nice but it did get very hot,to the point where I could not keep my hand on top for more than 15 sec's without getting burned. This was on a open shelf.
The Pioneer we were considering was the 94. I was ok but sounded flat to us compared to the others and did not use Audyssey MuliEQ system.
The Denon sounded great and has the latest features and can be upgraded thru the internet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks