What's new

Stupid Question Time I Guess (1 Viewer)

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
We own the Mits 38411 RPTV which we just love.

We have watched a number of movies on it through our Phillips 5 disc progressive scan player and really enjoyed the picture quality.

However, tonite... something made us start thinking about something.

I always noticed when I would hit input during any DVD movie it would say 420p. Now I know our TV can output 1080p, but I am aware that means one would need a DVD player that can output in 1080p.

We have looked and looked at the usual suspects; Best Buy, Circuit City, Conns, etc... No one has a DVD player that outputs 1080p, they all say Video Output:420p And I am talking some pretty expensive machines, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha all over 500.00 (expensive for us at least)

So is this how it is, or are we missing something to be able to get the absolute best picture possible from our TV

The second question is more a specific DVD question. We watched Minority Report tonite, and boy it's picture was horrid compared to all the movies we have seen so far. Did they film that movie to be grainy like that on purpose, or is this just our set?

Thank you

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dalila.

DVD disks have a built-in resolution of .. (I thought it was 480, but it could be 420.) The players simply pass on what is on the disks.

This is why some people have gotten excited about DVHS units or "D Theater" units which are digital tapes that output 1080. Many set top box's output 1080 as well as HD sat receivers.

There have been rumors about "blue ray" DVD's that can store 720 or 1080 lines of resolution, but then you would have to buy a new DVD player to play it. So they are still in the development/experimental stage.

But its slow in coming.

I have not booted my copy of Minority Report, but as I recall, the film was dark/grany to set the mood of an oppressive future. Hit the "Software" fourm for a review and I'm sure they will mention it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
DVD is an NTSC based format, therefore 480p is the best you're going to get out of it. There is a VERY expensive deck coming out that upconverts the signal, but you're still talking about a 480p source, so it's not even close to what you'd get with true HD

Building an HTPC (see the HTF FAQ) will also allow you to upres the DVD image in a similar fashion

Right now the only way to get true pre-recorded HD is with a DVHS deck, which will run you in the neighborhood of $800 and each movie about $35. Sony will be introducing their Blu-Ray Disc decks later this year with a starting price of $4-5000 that will record and play back HD as well

EDIT: Bob, Blu-Ray will be introduced in Japan next month, with a fall introduction in the US

Minority report is intentionally grainy, as are most Spielburg films. He likes the "grit" of film.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We watched Minority Report tonite, and boy it's picture was horrid compared to all the movies we have seen so far.
Have you adjusted your TV from the factory settings? Each input has it's own settings so changing one does not affect the others. Turn your sharpness down low or off, turn SVM off and make sure the contrast is down from the factory "torch" mode. A 64 point convergence every once in a while keeps things looking great also.

-Robert

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Minority report is intentionally grainy, as are most Spielburg films.
Minority Report is intentionally grainy. Most Spielberg films are not. And if the TV isn't properly calibrated, the graininess will probably be exaggerated. (The same is true of other films with an intentionally grainy look, e.g., Three Kings.)

M.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Silly question, but Michael, you said that a pregressive scan DVD player puts out at 420p. So, assume a non-progressive scan one does 480i. What does standard definition TV put out at?

Thanks

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks For the replies...

My fingers just got away from me a bit is all.

We own the Mits 48311 (just transposed a couple of numbers there. And yes, it says 480p not 420p (I sorry)

We have adjusted the set from the factory settings. Brightness is at the midway point and the Contrast is a touch above midway. Still not sure if that is the best spot, we want to go as low as possible while still having a nice picture. We also did a convergence on the set and its fine so far.
:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Progressive-scan DVD players output at 480p, hence the "p." Players outputting an interlaced image do so in 480i. Same number of lines, but the odds and evens are refreshed separately.

A standard-definition signal can be either 480i (for displays capable of only interlaced pictures) or 480p. High-definition signals are 720p and 1080i.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jack. Silly question #2 then: If a non-progressive scan DVD outputs the same as a standard television signal (480i), why does the DVD picture look a million times better than the standard tv picture?

thanks and confused,
Allan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
because it has close to double the lines of resolution present in average broadcast TV and none of the compression associated with cable or the interference you get w/antenna

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Some people have hinted at it, but the picture quality of Minority report could be suffering due to the fact that if you have the contrast up too (like the factory default setting) it will probably make the grain look more pronounced. It has been discussed here before, but I think peoples desire to have no grain in DVDs is a bad thing. Film has grain. If you dont want grain, watch Toy Story.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If a non-progressive scan DVD outputs the same as a standard television signal (480i), why does the DVD picture look a million times better than the standard tv picture?
All NTSC sources have 480 visible lines running horizontally across your screen. That includes VHS, DVD and broadcast TV.

The difference is in the amount of information those lines display. DVD gets more information onto those lines than VHS or broadcast, and that's why it looks better.

Another reason why DVD looks better is that it's a component format. This means that color and B&W information are stored separately, whereas in most other formats they're mashed together and have to be separated by circuitry in the TV. That's why there are certain colors (like strong reds) that routinely look so much better on DVD.

M.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it looks like you got a good start on adjusting your tv, but you may want to consider a calibration dvd.

the most popular are "avia" and "video essentials". i think they're about 40.00 each. there is also one called "home theater tuneup" which is made by the same guys that do avia (i think) that goes for about 20.00.

they'll help you calibrate all aspects of your tv to get the best picture. you won't have to "eyeball" or guess what looks good. you'll know for sure.

if you have a ht soundsystem - these dvd's will also help you calibrate your sound.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
If you watch the extra features in Minority Report it says that the film was treated in a process that gave it a bluish tint. The color is "futuristic"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks