What's new

Studios in contest for ugliest biblical cover (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Looking us in the eye. Another Big Face photo. Centered. Against a light blue background.

Just look at the today's Movie Posters. Most of them are one big face. From Owen Wilson in Hall Pass to Rango. No imagination or cleverness anywhere.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Apparently some years ago some work was started on The Big Fisherman but so far not even a decent DVD!

Somebody I trust said that the photography and score are very nice so I would like to see it on Blu-Ray.

[COLOR= black]The biggest holdout I would think would be Disney ever releasing The Big Fisherman, for the reason it almost wasn’t originally, picked up by Buena Vista, because of the aspect that it would look as if promoting religion. [/COLOR]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

Everyone is talking as if they have seen the cover of GSET. where?

the cover of Ben Hur was on digitalbits.com a few months ago. It is the same as the current box set special edition. that artwork is on the right and charlton heston is on the left (one of those wide box sets likt GWTW and Wizard of Oz.

It could be worse.

greatest_story_blu.jpg_copy1.jpg

18904_front.jpg

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, at least "The Greatest Story Ever Told" cover gives a feeling of what the film is about. I didn't think the "King of Kings" cover was bad. "The Bible" is okay - but any Bible doc could have that cover. The cover for "The 10 commandments" is just ugly (meanwhile some of the poster art is beautiful)

"Fiddler on the Roof "is easily the worse cover - no resemblance at all to he actual film, and not very attractive

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
GSET - another piece of truly awful UGH !!

A. Hollis - your firend that told you Big Fisherman had nice photography and score is lying. Most of it takes place indoors. the score is nothing.

Disney was going to restore it. but the gentleman in charge of restoration finallyhad enough of Disney and left the company.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

GSET - another piece of truly awful UGH !!

A. Hollis - your firend that told you Big Fisherman had nice photography and score is lying. Most of it takes place indoors. the score is nothing.

Disney was going to restore it. but the gentleman in charge of restoration finallyhad enough of Disney and left the company.

Don't know the guy and I don't think his remark was directed at me.

I never saw the film, but would like to someday.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H Greg, love the halo around Tevye for your FOTR cover. The cheesiness of it brought a smile to my face.

Thanks, that's what I was going for. Have to have the halo, otherwise how will they know it's a "Religious" movie

Even though mine IS cheesy, it's still better then the cover they're using, and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was under consideration

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

That would be Scott Mac Queen, too bad he could not finish The Big Fisherman.

Not that it was a masterpiece but I would still have liked to watch it one day in appropriate quality.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
IT was photographed by Lee Garmes who had a great reputation as a colour photographer having worked on GWTW amongest others.He was quoted at the time that he would use the 65 mm format for maximum sharpness and clarity. As production design was also by John De Cuir so it should look good on a BD even if the script and acting apparently leaves much to be desired!.

Originally Posted by OliverK

That was my friend. The Big Fisherman was nominated for an Oscar for best cinematography so apparently others were also thinking it was good in that regard.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

keeping in the theme of recent covers

It shows how we've become so used to lousy covers that I took a quick look at the above and assumed that it WAS the cover for FOTR. Greg, you can always get a job with the studios - I'm sure they will appreciate artwork such as this!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Douglas R It shows how we've become so used to lousy covers that I took a quick look at the above and assumed that it WAS the cover for FOTR. Greg, you can always get a job with the studios - I'm sure they will appreciate artwork such as this!

Thanks for the uh..compliment?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it SHOULD look good on BD - let's see how many years until we get it!

With 4 biblical epics competing for a small market total sales will probably down at least 50% on average from a sensible timed staggered release. Disney could fell justified in not bringing this to Blu-Ray when they see the numbers for the 3 biblical epics that do not have the same stature in the publics eye as Ben Hur and TTC. Oh well, in the end I might end up buying them all I guess...

Originally Posted by john a hunter

IT was photographed by Lee Garmes who had a great reputation as a colour photographer having worked on GWTW amongest others.He was quoted at the time that he would use the 65 mm format for maximum sharpness and clarity. As production design was also by John De Cuir so it should look good on a BD even if the script and acting apparently leaves much to be desired!.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the fact that it has never been releas on dvd, sort of is the marker, but honestly, out of the 4 releases, i plan on getting all 4, the nice part is that MGM/Fox are really good about coupons for some of these catalog releases, that is why i have held off on the pre-orders.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Could you please elaborate on the Coupons.

Being from Germany I can only buy from online dealers who ship internationally so maybe this would not apply to my purchases.

Although I have to admit that I usually buy in the US to have a nicer cover and artwork and this is not in the cards anyway so I might as well order in Germany for a change and use a custom cover. And maybe even a customized disc artwork.

Originally Posted by dana martin

the fact that it has never been releas on dvd, sort of is the marker, but honestly, out of the 4 releases, i plan on getting all 4, the nice part is that MGM/Fox are really good about coupons for some of these catalog releases, that is why i have held off on the pre-orders.

Have you guys seen the little video on Amazon for The Ten Commandments? It shows the packaging and how it works and what is inside. In keeping with the biblical movie discussion, don't stone me, but I like it! AFA the worst cover, my vote is for King of Kings. I know what they are going for with The Greatest Story Ever Told, but it looks so depressing. I think the old vhs cover from the 1980s was the best for that film.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by OliverK

Could you please elaborate on the Coupons.

Being from Germany I can only buy from online dealers who ship internationally so maybe this would not apply to my purchases.

Although I have to admit that I usually buy in the US to have a nicer cover and artwork and this is not in the cards anyway so I might as well order in Germany for a change and use a custom cover. And maybe even a customized disc artwork.

MGM/Fox lately have had ad coupons for like $5.00 off on certian titles, some of these cataloge titles the firts week out will go for $9.99 if we are lucky, so if a $5.00 coupon is used well sort of balances things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks