What's new

Studio 20's + separate amp, how much of a difference??? (1 Viewer)

Benn Dingle

Auditioning
How much of a difference will the Paradigm reference studio 20's get from separate amplification? I'm hell bent on getting a pair for my fronts but not anytime soon since i'm still in the process of deciding whether to forego the receiver (probably a 3802) or just get a two channel amp first. The forerunner for the two channel amp is the Stratos Odyssey but it could change in the future to maybe a parasound or bryston amp. The 20's will be connected to my computer BTW.

I would really like to hear some input on people who have gone through a receiver, separate amp transition with the studio 20's.

thanks

Benn,

I have the Denon 1802 paired with Studio 40's and am using a Acurus 200x3 amp. Adding the amp changed the sound. A little cleaner and didn't seem to have to use as much volume as before. Which makes sense as I think an increase of 3db requires doubling the power, which I did. However, the weakest link in my system is now the 1802. I'll be upgrading to the Outlaw 950 when available. I am happy with the upgrade and it gives me a little more insight into what all the seperate hoopla is about. I have not heard the paradigm paired with the parasound, but there are many posts on here that recommend that set-up. Good luck.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've listened to various amps (Parasound, Rotel, Crown K series, etc.) with my Studio 40s / Denon 5700 combo. Subjectively, the differences were more noticable during very quiet passages and very loud passages. The dedicated amps had a lower noise floor (quiet passages were more quiet) and the loud passages seemed to have slightly more impact. However, these differences were very small when compared to upgrading my speakers and applying acoustic treatments to my room. In the end, I felt that I'd be better off saving the amp $$$ for a projector. The 3802 has less power, so YMMV...

Salvador

Second Unit
would one be correct in assuming that moving from a 'mid-fi' receiver's amp to a separate amp would be a classic case of diminishing returns?

chung

Stunt Coordinator
would one be correct in assuming that moving from a 'mid-fi' receiver's amp to a separate amp would be a classic case of diminishing returns?
It depends on your speakers. If your speakers present a difficult load to the amplifers, e.g. if its impedance dips too low at certain frequencies, then upgrading to external power amp may be the best thing for your overall system. My experience is that speakers and the interaction between speakers and power amplifers account for the biggest difference between systems, and it may be difficult to tell the difference between say a Denon 3802 and a 1802 if both employ external power amplifiers. When you make comparisons, make sure to do this at the same loudness. A system that is louder appears to sound better.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
As a Stratos owner, the attribute that sticks out the most for me is its ability to drive the speakers at any volume I've tried while still providing full separation of instruments. With all other amps I've demoed (not to mention receivers), there came a volume at which the instruments would lose their distinctness (although in fairness, I wasn't concentrating on this attribute, as it hadn't stuck out until listening to the Stratos).
Will the Stratos be a good match for the 20's? Don't know. From my perspective, I would start with the Stratos and ask what speakers would benefit greatly from them :D . Have you considered going up the Paradigm Reference line? You can always plan for an upgrade after the Stratos has found a home :emoji_thumbsup:
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks