What's new

Stryke AV-12 in sealed box (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am going to use my AV-12 in a side firing 2.0 Cubic Foot
Sealed enclosure. But yes you can easily use it in a down
firing configuration the G-Loss is less than 3% sag.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I was going to try mine in a 1ft^3 box built for a Dayton 12" DVC but the bracing got in the way of the huge motor. :frowning:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that's what they make jigsaws for. :emoji_thumbsup: It was only a one 2x2 brace in the way, so I removed it.

Installed the AV12 in a ~30l sealed cabinet and re-installed my Adire AVA250 to close the big hole in back. I stuffed a bunch of Acousta-Stuff in there for good luck and to bring the Qtc down to .7 or so.
Very, very nice! Goes pretty deep and is very clean as is. I installed my Linkwitz Tranform circuit and things got better. :) This circuit was intended for, and has values specific to, a Tempest app. I never pursued. However, the eq curve it's set for result in this AV12 box having a Qtc of just below .6 and an Fc of ~20Hz (As near as I can guess). This makes a really cool HT sub in addition to a music sub.
This much clean excursion is lotsa fun to play with. :) With the LT and even this "little" amp, I was able to calibrate to my standard 10dB below reference and get tremendous impact from scenes like the exploding THX ball and the various ship fly-by scenes in Ep. 2.

I can certainly recommend this combo to anyone looking for the real thing in a tiny box in a small room.

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Beautiful sub! I have no experience with circuit design and construction, but I'm giving an LT a thought. I'm curious to see if adding more extension, even at the expense of lower output, would add to the musical/bass experience. Thanks for the input. :)

I remember reading that you also tried the Adire DPL12 in a number of different alignments. Does the DPL12's natural lower extension give it an edge over the LT'ed AV12? I'm now almost certain I went with the right driver, but a little reassurement here and there can't hurt. ;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that you also tried the Adire DPL12 in a number of different alignments. Does the DPL12's natural lower extension give it an edge over the LT'ed AV12?
No, I wouldn't say so. In the current configuration, the AV12/LT in ~1ft^3 achieves a slightly better response than the DPL12 in 5ft^3. The AV12 also has considerable headroom compared to the DPL12. The AV setup "requires" more power but, as you see, it's not a big issue and my 250w amp seems adequate.
Still, the DPL12 is excellent in greater than 3ft^3 and really only needs 150 watts to give its all.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Damnit Damnit Damnit...

I NEED to get off my duff and get my enclosure DONE!
(but... but... It's like 1 freaking degree above ZERO and
I don't have a heated garage! Heh well I just spent 2 grand
on a Pellet Stove so by this time next week it should be
heated WAHOO!)

I dunno.... 1.0 , 1.5 or 2.0..... I think I am sticking
with 2.0 Cubic Foot Sealed.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Brett,

I was just outside rounding over the corners on a subwoofer enclosure. It's 23 degrees at the moment. I thought my fingers were going to fall off! :thumbsdown: So I can imagine it's pretty cold up there too.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I can't even get to my shop b/c of the snow (about 10miles away). I only had to route one piece and then screw in the driver and it would be done. But friggen mother nature had to mess everything up. :)

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Peter,

I have a DPL12 that is going to be LT'd in around a 1 cu. ft. enclosure. Without the LT it goes really well (Just got it going properly last night - almost shook a mirror off the wall!) Great driver, but as Jack said, the AV12 will out gun it in terms of headroom (The Xmax is a big factor when it comes to LT'ing a driver). If you wanna pursue an LT then have a look at sound.westhost.com for a PCB, or you could also try www.linkwitzlab.com

I can guarantee that whether you LT or not, you will get a great sub with the AV12.

As for the temperature outside - it's a balmy 23 degrees here (That's Celcius :). Might do a BBQ tonight down at the beach :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
All this Southern whining, jeez, you'd think it was the end of the world. It's like 9 degrees here. :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

It'll be 9 degrees here tonight. The crazy thing is, it's supposed to be back up to 55-58 on Monday.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
See how good you have it? It hasn't been above freezing at all in 10 days here.
But at least you've had the opportunity to become accustomed to it. :) These huge temperature fluctuations totally screw up my sinuses and cause people to catch lots of colds. I've been sick in varying degrees since New Year's Eve (and I NEVER get sick) so I'm tired of this crap! Give me a little consistency for God's sake!

BTW, the warm weather does make veneering a lot easier! :)

george king

Supporting Actor
I can sympathise folks. Here in Ft. Worth, it 70o Sunday, and the mid 60's through yesterday. Got up this morning and it was in the low 30's (not cold by some standards) but the wide flucuations do screw things up.

Don't freeze to death, and we should all go listen to some music.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Some guys on the Pro Audio forum have been using a brand of Epoxy (I forget the name of it) to assemble the LAB subs. Supposedly it works great down to around 30degree weather (cure time around 15minutes). I know that doesn't help you, Jack, but it might be a viable solution for us southern folk when it gets a little chilly.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
As jack has said.. It hasn't been above freezing in WEEKS
here in PA.. Infact it hasn't been above single digits in
DAYS..

My house has electric baseboard heat.. They are NOT keeping
up with all this cold, and heck I just put on all new doors,
windows,roof etc...

I can't wait till my Lenox 40K BTU Pellet Stove gets here
in 7 days..... The garage will be 90 degrees and so will
the rest of the house! I HATE COLD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks