What's new

Strikes and Spares (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Anyone here into bowling? I just joined a league for fun, the girlfriend went off to college and i need something to do. I played my first game in the league last night, i didn't do to well but had tons of fun. The team i was on won all three games. I used to bowl every once in a while with family and friends. Any pointer or suggestions. I plan on buying a ball, which ones are good? I throw straight the curving will come later. Also i plan on buying shoes anything i should know about that?

thanks,
jay

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I started bowling in college as a gag one Friday night, and really started to enjoy it. Joined the college league and had a blast ! Don't do it much anymore, but as my daughter gets older I'll pick it back up. Never understood how it got such a redneck/blue collar reputation (must be the pitchers of cheap draft beer...:D)
Getting a ball and shoes are a must. You will then always play with the same equipment and your performance will become much more predictable. A wrist support may help you develop that hook.
[edit] - just noticed your from Mass. Do you bowl ten-pin or candlepin ? In MD we have "Duckpin" which is with a ball slightly bigger than a candlepin, but the pins are shaped like tenpins, just shorter/squatter. Loads of fun !

MikeM

Screenwriter
I actually really like bowling. But get this, speaking of college, as a joke, I too took bowling and I got a damn C-! :angry:
I couldn't believe it! The problem was that we actually had a bowling text book (which I never bought) and they would give us a pop quiz of various bowling terminology. Jeez, I'll never forget to remember those terms like a "Brooklyn Hit" or "Bedposts" ever again!
The Moral of the Story: When you want an easy "A" in college for a P.E. class, take golf. :D

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Get shoes and a ball as soon as you can. The pro shop will be more help than we can. Seeing how you bowl may determine what kind of ball you get. I've heard that a wrist support should be avoided. I bowl in a league on Monday night, just for fun but The Naked Zombie Force has come second two years in a row. I average 130 something but managed a 191 last night.

jeremy

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I love bowling! I've never really been into the Fall league season 'cuz it's just too damn long... October thru March or April or something crazy like that.
I've got a Brunswick Danger Zone D2Z which is awesome for dry/medium lane conditions. It's got a great back end reaction... the only problem is, it's about 6-7 years old. It's still in good shape but the balls out right now are still a bit more technologically advanced (better cover stocks) than my D2Z.
For my spare ball, I throw an Ebonite Gyro which has excellent consistency, as well.
*shrug* It's fun!! :)
Good luck with your league!!
scott.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies,
i bowl 10 pin although i have tried candlepin. Both are fun, i find 10 pin a little more enjoyable. This league does go forever, 32 weeks, we end some time in april but like i said the girlfriend is away at school near Boston so the timing is perfect. I figure when she comes home for winter break she can go and substitute if anyone misses a day. She has her own ball and shoes and is actually better than i am she has a few trophies from a few years back and enjoys pounding on me when we go.
A trip to the local pro shop is in order. thanks again,

jay

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Your own shoes are a must. I would hate to put on shoes that some smelly footed person wore. I'm sure they would say the same about me. LOL

As for balls, I have "THE BEAST" from Columbia. If you want to throw a hook then you should get your ball drilled for the finger tip style. It will be a bit difficult at first, but once you get it, you will improve your game greatly. Practice a bit before you use it in the league. It's very hard to throw a curve with a ball drilled non-finger tip. Your pro shop will help you too.

LewB

Screenwriter
I've been bowling most of my life and the only thing I dis-like about it is the 33 week fall/winter league schedule.
I'd advise getting all of your equipment from the pro shop. They are often one owner operations who are usually more than willing to make you a package deal if you want the ball/bag/shoes. Since you throw a 'straight' ball I'd let the pro shop person recommend the ball. Hate to say it but I don't think a pricey ball is needed for a straight ball. Try to use as heavy a ball as you feel comfortable with (range is 12-16lbs for men I believe). Use the 'full finger' ball for your first season. Use this time to learn how to bowl (get your footwork down, learn the angles to shoot spares). If you decide you want to go to a hook ball, go for a new (better, more expensive) ball with finger tip grips. I'd recommend that you do this at the end of the bowling season so that you have time to learn how to throw the ball and control the hook. Once you see what you can do with the hook ball you'll be on your way. As for the shoes, I'd say get a pair of Dexters, they are reasonably priced and wear pretty well. Also take some time to learn the finer points of bowling courtesy, like letting the person on the right go first, not cutting off other bowlers, etc.
Above all, have fun ! :D :D

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I dig bowling. I used to bowl on a league when I was in community college. I wasn't too bad either, I had about a 175 average (I threw a hook). However I haven't really bowled in a few years because I hate the bowling alley in my local town. I'm a big guy and an important part of my bowling approach is a long slide. The lanes here are sticky as hell and I cant slide AT ALL. It sucks because if I even try to slide I'll do a superman (head first out into the lane :D )
Oh well, I'll be outta here in a couple months. Perhaps I'll end up in a town with a good set of lanes!
-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks