What's new

Strange Store Security messures? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Both times I was told that, due to high shoplifting rates at the store, it is their policy to check everyone who leaves the store.
This is another way in which the public seems to gladly give up their privacy. Unless they have good reason to suspect that you actually took something, they have no right to stop and search you on the way out. In fact, even checking the recepit against the the stuff in your bag is something that they don't actually have the right to do unless again they suspect that you took something. It's voluntary. They can ask. You can refuse. That's as far as they're allowed to go unless they have probable cause to believe that you actually stole something. Fighting it can be a royal pain, admittidly. The people who work in the stores really don't know the laws. They just know what their managers tell them. In fact even the managers don't generally understand the laws either. I've walked right through only to hear behind me "Hey! I have to check your bag." I suppose its because I don't look like a threat that they don't come after me... Perhaps in rare cases, maybe they actually know the law. I think if they did come after me I'd just say "No you can't look in the bag and go ahead and call the police and I'll wait for them to arrive." I'm pretty sure the police would know what the store can and can't do.
-Steve

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
bestbuy here doesn't check every bag, sam's is the only place that does.
what annoys me about bestbuy is the cashier's never rub DVD's or CD's right on the pad thingy so the sensor goes off, THEN they want to check my bag. I should tell them to shove it :)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
About ten years ago if you were paying by personal check at Meijers you had to give a thumb print. That was pretty obnoxious, not to mention messy.

As for the stores that check receipts, my friend and I often swap bags on the way out but keep our own receipts. About 75% of the time the checker doesn't even notice. I know I wouldn't if it was my job.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
what annoys me about bestbuy is the cashier's never rub DVD's or CD's right on the pad thingy so the sensor goes off, THEN they want to check my bag. I should tell them to shove it
You and me both. -I- know I didn't steal anything. If they want to pursue it, then they can see me in court about it. I keep right on walking. If they come running after me, my response is always "If you want to accuse me of shoplifting, then call the police so they can be witness to the accusation. Then I'll see you in court." Not once have they not just turned around and left me alone. Searching your bag isn't legal for the store to do unless there's probable cause. There's no way that the security alarm going off could possibly constitute probable cause.
-Steve

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
You guys are a bit more adament about it than
I am. I hate it myself, but I wouldn't want to get the poor employee in trouble for doing so. However, the Radio Shack thing is annoying, so I'll just let them know that they already have my information in their database, and if they don't I've been told not to give it out anymore. Don't know if the guy I regularly buy at will buy it, but what the hell :).
As for Best Buy, we had a bit of a time buying Windows XP form them in February. They kept on INSISTING that we sign up for that free MSN service. I told them we didn't need it, but my mother gave them our address information anyway. As soon as they asked to see her drivers liscence, however, that's when her logic curcuit seemed to kick in. We had to get a manager up there saying, "Hey, we already have an online service called Prodigy that we use, we don't need your stinkin' MSN offer.."

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>. Unless you're white, in which case you're waved through. >>

I do beleive this would fball under the case of racial profiling, would it not? If this is the case, here is something that could help draw attention to it.

If this pracitce still goes on at this store, and the strange shoplifting at the Target, call your local news station. If they have one of those 'Fox Problem Solver' type segments, wich all of the local NY stations do, they can do a 'hard hitting investigation' for you. Also ask them to consult the advice of a laywer, because I'm sure there's something in there these people can sue the store over, if only to give them bad publicity...

Who knows, it might help..

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Buzz, your stories crack me up! I have not had the same fortunate experience you've had at CompUSA but I wouldn't put it past 'em. As for your Walmart story, I can completely relate. I probably can guess which one it was. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks