What's new

Storing my CDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Update:

I filled up 5 binders with CDs, which fit most of my rock stuff. I still have three boxes (mostly jazz) to store and am waiting for a my next shipment of 5 binders.

I'm very happy with them so far. They're not sorted at all but that should be easy because the pages are removable. The binders themselves are so far very sturdy.

I was going to keep double (and triple) CDs in their jewel cases, but realise that these cases are also easy to acquire if I needed to and I would keep a few around anyway, so they're going in the sleeves, too. High-res and audiophile discs, however, will still be kept in cases, no matter what the packaging.

The back liners are being stored seperately in regular 2" ring binders, using page covers.

My sister has been helping me put all this away, but now we are faced with a CD-storage schism: some CDs come with slip-cases, most of which just mimic the artwork on the liners. I want to throw them all out with the cases and store them like I do everything else, while she argues that they're part of the packaging and should be preserved. But since they do nothing but annoy me anyway, I'm gong to toss 'em, except the few that have different artwork on the slips than on the liners.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Here's an interesting alternative.

I was tempted to transfer my collection of approximately 1500 to this last year. It's not exactly cheap, but you have the full flexibility of having individual holders. Sooner or later, binders get to be a hassle.

http://www.jewelsleeve.com/sleeves.html

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I would keep whatever you have, unless you know you are never going to sell or trade that CD. Some stores won't take a CD without a barcode.

The Jewelsleeves are pretty cool. It's tempting but I have other things I don't really need to spend my money on :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Eric, that is the coolest thing. I really like that, except it is more than I'm willing to spend on storage material. But it looks pretty sweet.

Blake G

Agent
I can vouch for the jewelsleeve link -- My wife and I hit critical mass in terms of storage of CDs when we got married -- now we have over 2000 of them. The jewel sleeves work great, and take up no space at all. The hardest part was finding a piece of furniture that had deep enough drawers for the sleeves and the dividers. When we found them, I just used 1/8" plywood to divide the drawers vertically into 4 rows, and off we went. It works so well I am considering putting my 1500+ dvds in them.

Blake

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Mike digging this thread back up do you have a link to the cases you are using. I have two things I'm looking to accomplish . I need to transfer the CD's I was using while I was DJing for 15 years into Binders for home use. And I'm looking for an alternative for my TV DVD's

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
The JewelSleeves are nice, but pricey. If you are going to keep the CDs in drawers anyway, you can use these

Bags Unlimited sleeves

I've got about 800 and they really cut down on space. You can put the booklet and traycard in there also. They aren't as durable, but they're fine in a drawer and a lot cheaper.

I use the ones with the resealable flap, but only use about an inch of the sticky part. They also have some without the sticky resealable tape too. I've been happy with them.

Just ordered another 100 along with a bunch of DVD sleeves (SU11061) to try out too. 20 DVDs per binder with covers should take up a lot less room also.

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks