What's new

Storing my CDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Let's talk about my CD collection.

I'm crashing with my folks while I get my finances in order and look for a new place. It'll be a while. My HT stuff and CD collection (about 1500 discs) is in storage.

Before I packed it away, I had two huge, unwieldy racks of CDs, which still wasn't enough for all of it. When I finally do get a place, it will be a nice one and I will want it to look nice and neat (as opposed the post-college bachelor squalor I was used to) and don't want to occupy all that space with CD racks. And the the thought of moving all of those boxes, sorting them (yes, they have to be sorted), etc... ugh.

Plus, I do miss them. I have my collection ripped on MP3, but it's not the same.

So here's what I'm doing: I'm buying a bunch of these
CD Binders with 30 pages each. I'm starting with 5 for now and will bring home half of my collection. Excluding box sets, digipacks, and any non-standard packaged CD, I'll toss out the jewel case and slip the liners and CDs into these books, using two slots per CD.

I'm hoping all this will serve to simplify the collection and make it more manageable, both immediately and in the long run.

I was considering just getting individual slip sheets, but then I really can't sort them.

Anyone else does anything like this?

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Not to be critical of your choice of CD binder but how about this:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...d=GEEKSTOR-288

It can handle 288 cds/dvds and they can be zipped up to protect from dust or light. They are only 9.95 to boot. They also have handy-dandy shoulder strap and handle. The only bad thing: CD pages are not removable.

Good luck!!:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, not bad. I do like the price.

I would, however, like the pages removeable. Makes organizing it all easier.

I'll try the ones I got and see how it feels. I'll need more anyway and don't care if they're not all in the same binder. Maybe I'll get different ones later.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Mike,

I went through the same thing you are when I moved to Germany years ago. All I have to say is buy good quality binders. The Caselogic ones I was looking at originally held over 200 and were $40, but there was another cheaper brand that I found at Walmart were only $25 and held the same amount. They fell apart, needless to say. Pages of CDs everywhere.

Now, if you don't think you'll have them in binders too long I guess you can get away with something less durable. I've had mine in binders for 5.5 years now, though. It's hard to justify putting them back in the cases after that, since they take up so much room, ya know.

Keep those Rush CD's protected! :^)

Good luck,

Zane

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Zane, can you remember exactly which binders you bought? You seem to be pretty happy with them.

The good thing about having removable pages is that they can be replaced, so even if a few do slip out, that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you able to keep the back liners comfortably, also? I definitely want to preserve all the packaging (except, of course, the jewel case).

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Mike -

I use the Case logic pro-sleeves and CD Storage Library. It holds about 250 in each (I have two). I've been happy with the pro-sleeves, as they have not caused scratches as some cheapo wallets do.

I don't have 1500 CDs, but this solution works well for me. Here's a link:

PF200 CD Storage Library

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, that looks pretty sweet.

Are you also storing the liners (back and front) in them, and if so, can all that fit in one sleeve with the CD?

When looking at cases and such, I've usually had to divide the capacity by two because they don't account for liners.

If that holds 200 CDs plus liners, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I order more storage. If not, it's a bit expensive for only 100 CDs.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Mike -

They definitely hold the front booklets (on the back of the sleeve. I have always torn off the perforated "side" of the backliner and put it in the top of the sleeve. To be honest, I throw away the rest of the back liner, but I would think you could slide it behind the booklet. I don't think it would diminish the capacity too much. I believe you can fit a bit more than 200 (including liners) in a box.

It's a bit expensive. I found my 2 at Best Buy for 50% off long ago. But it has a lifetime warranty, which I used once when a plastic divider broke off.

As I said, I like the sleeves because I've never had a situation where a CD started skipping due to the storage. It has a nice non-abrasive cottony back lining. Case logic has several options also for taking 20 or 50 CDs with you in the car by just grabbing the sleeves and putting them in soft packs.

OK, where's my royalty, Case Logic? :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I may try this.

I don't want to tear off the part of the back liner that goes in the spine of the jewel case. Given how much re-buying and selling of CDs I do, I would like to always have the option of being able to put the CD with all the packaging back into a standard jewel case.

I have heard that the sleeves are especially good in terms of not damaging the CDs. And I hadn't thought about the advantage of portability.

If you happen to spot a deal on these, let me know.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Mike, I know you're probably committed to a sleeve/binder/storage solution, but let me point out something as regards the CaseLogic system Jeff suggested. It looks very nice, but with 1500 CDs you're looking at 8 of those cabinets, plus 700 extra sleeves (the cabinets store 200 but only come with 100 sleeves). So even if you find a 50% off deal you're talking well north of $400 to store your collection.

Now, for $240 you can have one of these:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...1005&catid=209

I have two of these for my collection (2300+) and they are awesome.

Of course, you need a good-sized blank wall to stand it up against... ;)

Anyway, just FYI for you (or anyone else looking in).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Those are indeed nice and reasonably priced.

I have two wooden CD racks in storage, each of which holds 750 CDs. They're not as nice as yours, but they do the job.

Thing is, I just don't want to occupy so much wall space with CD racks.

I didn't even notice that the CaseLogics only come with half the sleeves. Thanks.

I'm hoping that with binders, I could put my entire collection on a standard book shelf: one or two rows for the binders, and the rest for box sets and alternatively packaged CDs. Though when I think about it, there is a large chunk of music that fits in the latter category.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Bringing this thread back up, I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can find the storage case mentioned in post 6, the Case Logic PF-200 Storage Library? That looks like a very nice and efficient way to store your discs without having to deal with multiple, bulky binders.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an online vendor anywhere that sells this (even Case Logic's official site lists it as out of stock), and my B&M's sell only binders; I even checked eBay out of curiosity and could find nothing.

Can anyone let me know where I can find this, or point me to another storage case that has a similar design? I may have to call Case Logic and see if they even make these anymore.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought a PF200 about five years ago. Got a good deal and it got me turned on to the Pro Sleeves. I highly recommend the sleeves; not so much the PF200 case. To keep the contents upright the case has plastic dividers that snap into the base of the drawers. If you fill the drawers that's a lot of pressure on the dividers. Too much actually, as the tabs holding them in inevitably break. To be honest I have not seen the case available anywhere in the last couple years, but then I have not been actively searching either. If you don't need more than a backing to keep the CDs from tipping all the way into the case, then buying a few 5" metal bookends does the trick. Very sturdy.

My solution when I ran out of room in the PF200 was actually to buy a decent piece of furniture - an apothecary style cabinet - into which I place my CDs with the Pro Sleeves. So that is ulitimately my suggestion if you want to increase storage capacity and allow for filing. Use the Pro Sleeves but find a sturdy, high capacity storage unit that will last you many years.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply Cameron! However, I'm not too sure what an apothecary is--something like this?

Actually, I think will go with that type of case to hold my discs--I'll look into costs and see where I can find something like that.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I found a link through Amazon to a collection of apothecary-type cases made by Leslie Dame. Since I've used them before for storing books and DVD's (and was very happy), I think I'll go with them again for CD storage.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I looked at similar ones as the links but didn't care for the pyramid stack. The one I bought was actually an unfinished product made by a local manufacturer that distributes to some places - Whittier Wood Products. I stained it a few different times and wound up doing a stain and paint combination. The cabinet I actually use for titles I don't listen to as often. I have the stuff in frequent rotation stored a little differently for faster access. My own freaky organization style I guess.

Good luck on your decision!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, those upright cases in that other link would actually fit better in the free space I have; better yet, they're Leslie Dames and at a good price.

Thanks again Cameron!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You're welcome. I like the retro library card catalog ones too. I guess they remind me of my childhood journeys to the library.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Me too, Cameron. Glad I'm not the only one who had Dewey Decimal System flashbacks after seeing some of those cases.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Y'know it wasn't until I typed "retro" that I fully realized how long it has been since I've used a card catalog! Now I feel old!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks