What's new

Store Bought subs VS. DIY subs (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
----------------------------------
( Store bought subs vs. Diy subs )
----------------------------------
What are the good sides & bad sides of store bought subs & what are the bad sides & good sides of DIY subs ?
I'm new to this stuff :)
Thanks to any one that helps.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
With store-bought subs, you get a warrantee. With DIY subs, you get a better price/performance ratio, but you could lose a finger if you’re not careful.
Everything else (appearance, form factor, suitability to your listening needs) depends on how much effort you want to put into it. I’ve seen only one post from someone who was disappointed with the performance of his DIY sub. I’ve seen more than a few expressing disappointment with store-bought subs.

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
Good for store bought.....well....you can buy them in a store and it takes no effort
wink.gif
Bad is just about everything else.
DIY. All good and no bad because you get to pick size, finish, output, input, finish and everything else about the speaker. Maybe the only downside is you have to spent time on the project(which IMHO is not a downside).
Ouptut/$ spent will be greatly higher with a DIY or even a SVS sub.
------------------
Brett

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
Store bought subs:
Good side: You buy it, bring it home, hook it up, and listen to it with a minimum amount of effort.
Bad side: Cost/performance ratio is very poor and you can't customize it to fit your needs and/or wants.
DIY subs:
Good side: Basically everything....You can build exactly what you need and want, the cost/performance ratio is very good, you get a feeling of pride of your accomplishment, and you get a better understanding of how subwoofers work.
Bad side: You have to do it yourself (But for people who like building subwoofers, like me, it isn't work at all, but rather an enjoyable hobby :) ).
Edit: Wow, Brett and Brian posted while I was composing mine....I guess we all think pretty much alike
biggrin.gif

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The biggest downside to DIY:
I'm sweating my ass off trying to paint them! It's so humid in the Atlanta area right now that the paint never seems totally dry!
Good Side: Everything else!
Brian
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks