HT use only. BR-1 vs. SCH K05B11and Sub suggestions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DustinF, Jan 1, 2003.

1. DustinF

DustinF Agent

I need 5 speakers and a powered sub for HT use only. 11x14 room. Front projection so no shielding necessary. Receiver is a Marantz 4200.

I would like people's opinions on these two inexpensive kits. I picked these because of the price range and ease of construction.

I have a full shop so I could build cabinets myself, but I have no desire to build crossovers.

Could anyone recommend either of these. And if there is something that might be a little more expensive that's ok too. (But it would have to be significantely better to justify the price.)

I really don't know what type of sub to pick for these inexpensive speaker packages. I wouldn't want to go over $300 for a sub.

Also- what store bought speakers would these compare too. I was initially considering Axiom M2i's but thought I could save a few bucks by DIY.

Thank you.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

I'd skip the K05B11's and go for the K05B50's. I haven't heard the B11's, but from what I've heard they just don't go loud enough to use them for HT. Hank Frankenberg built a pair for his neighbor and actually blew one of the woofers before delivering them.

My first "decent" pair of speakers were the PSB Alpha A/V's that were $250. The K05B50's would definitely be a step up. For quality sound and bass extension.

For an inexpensive sub, go with the Dayton DVC 12 and the 300-794 amp. If you want to port it, then get the 4" Precision Port as well.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Thanks for airing my dirty laundry, Brian.[​IMG] And Happy New Year! Actually, the 011's will play loud enough for most people. It's relative. The B50's are a step up in quality though - I'd go for them. Great value. You might want to tackle SCH's big center channel also.

4. DustinF

DustinF Agent

Thank you for the quick responses. K05B50's it is (Unless someone would like to chime in about the BR-1's.)

I looked into the center channel from SCH, but they are sold out and claim they are doing a redesign. I thought perhaps another of the bookshelf's as a center would do fine. (Underneath the screan tilted slightly up)

5. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dustin,

I own both the SCH KO5B50 and the Axiom M3ti and recommend you save the money and buy the SCH K05B50. Without getting into a detailed comparison, the SCH had a better defined, more realistic midrange and a more pleasant upper end. I once defined acoustic realism by the Axiom sound, but now, in comparison, the opaque midrange and over-pronounced upper bass makes it sound like a pale shadow.

The M3ti has better bass extension, but since you plan in the end to add a subwoofer to the system, I would buy the K05B50 without hesitation.

Hope this helps,
    Peter

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,
    Yes, the K05B50 should work fine as a center channel as well.
    Hank, knowing how the younger guys like to crank things (I guess I still fit into that category), I figured the B50 would be the better choice. [​IMG]

7. DustinF

DustinF Agent

Now I'm really excited after hearing everyone's comments.
    Especially against the Axiom which I have heard before.
    Two last questions though.
    #1 Anyone have a picture of these speakers with a maple, oak, or cherry veneer?
    #2 For asthetic appeal only I would like to get the K05C25 center channel. Because they won't have any for quiet some time, does anybody have one they would like to sell?[​IMG]