What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I wasn't even expecting the original 70's mix because whenever the original version was on cable it was definataly the remix. I have the original mix on laserdisc and thought that was the best I could hope for.

I would definataly like for it to have the original track and it should if it is advertised. However, it doesn't change the fact I will be getting the tin.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yet again, the potential motto emerges:

Warner: We're not big on sound.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

No, they did not promise those deleted scenes for STM. I was referring to the 49 minutes of additional footage that has been shown on television in the past. I just thought as long as they were doing such a royal edtion of STM that they'd include those scenes as extras, just for fun. But no, I guess they didn't consider all that material as a strong selling point. I think that deleted scenes from STM are far more relevant to a 4-disk STM release than a disk of 40s Kirk Allyn rubbish, but no, I am not a programmer for Warner Home Video and I don't get to make these fine marketing decisions.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to pony up for this set to get any of the Kirk Alyn serials. I was hoping that some of this content might show up on the 14 disk tin, but -- as far as I can tell -- this is not the case.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Can someone post a few scenes and instances where the difference is dramatic so that people with the actual disc can spot check the mixes in a few places?

It doesn't really amount to 49 minutes though, does it, especially when you subtract the TV recap and extra credits, the scenes included in the 2001 edition (including the tiger pit extra scene)?

Also do any of the mixes include the Jimmy Carter/peanut line from the cockpit from the original 1978 release. Even if its included in one of the docs it'd be fun to hear again.

I do think that the longer Luthor/Otis truck stop/ambulance sequence in the TV cut is even funnier.

Most of the other material is shoe-leather. Establishing shots, people entering and leaving rooms a little longer, a line here and there, not really full scenes.

Their lack of inclusion is not a deal-killer for me, but it would have been nice to see some of the longer ones in widescreen.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

I won't be getting anything tonight, just for the record. Hopefully Friday. In the meantime, Zod speaks with a lot of authority and Carter of Mars seems like a reliable guy... so, depressing. Disc replacements are probably in order.

I just rented the SR videogame and an XBox 360 to tide me over till I get my tin. Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as the reviews are saying.

Greg K

Second Unit
This whole situation is terribly confusing. First there's no original mix, then there is, then there isn't.

I hope that the original mix is on there. Otherwise, the notion of having two separate discs for the two different cuts of the same movie (branching could make having both versions on one disc easy) is really dumb.

Still, I'm worried. After all, if everything was fine and dandy with this release, then there wouldn't be all this concern from people, now, would there? And if there's even a small indication that something's wrong, then there probably IS something wrong. SIGH.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

In 2001 mix, there's no rumble to the earthquake, the gas station explosion makes a whoosh sound instead of a loud boom, Krypton exploding sounds like glass breaking instead of a bona fide planet breaking up, wire coming loose and pulling Lois Lane's helicopter down makes a dull click instead of a dramatic whip-crack sound.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I know this sounds really anal and nitpicky to a lot of people, but in this case it really just sounds and "feels" quite different across the whole movie.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
It just gets "better and better" folks. NOT!!!!!!:angry:

Jim Bowers just posted this update on capedwonder.com:

"22 November 2006 -- Contrary to what I was told earlier this year and indicated in yellow in WHV's official press release, the new Superman-The Movie theatrical cut DVD (Region 1) does NOT have the original 1978 sound mix, only the 2001 restoration ("Thau") mix that many of you are very familiar with. I checked both the "English 5.1" selection and the "English" (2.0) selection in the Language menu, and each has the same newer mix. Bill Hunt of DigitalBits.com has confirmed that there's no original mix on his disc. Some WB folks I know are checking into this matter for all regions...I'll hopefully be able to update you soon....."

And then:

"The Region 1 Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD box set was shipped with the old 2001 Superman III DVD (old menu without all of the new extras), while the Region 1 Christopher Reeve Superman Collection DVD box set contains the new version of Superman III with the deleted scenes, trailer, making of, etc. Bill Hunt of DigitalBits.com found the same error in his Ultimate box.

I also checked the Superman-The Movie theatrical Cut DVD in both the Ultimate and CRSC boxes, and only the French language has the 1978 original sound mix. So you French speaking fans are in luck! As for the rest of us, well...we'll have to wait and see what Warner Bros. decides to do about it.

So, in summary, it appears that, at least in Region 1, the SIII and STM theatrical Cut DVDs in the Ultimate box, and the STM theatrical Cut DVD in the CRSC, do not contain the content we were counting on. "

WHAT A MESS! All I can say is, WARNER BETTER OFFER REPLACEMENT DISCS FOR THIS DEBACLE!!!!!!:angry:

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
oh brother... I was worried Warner might try to get away with the audio screw-up, but this Superman III thing won't even get past casual buyers...

I wonder if they'll recall the set, considering release date is still several days off.

What a disappointing day in Superman history. The videogame's pretty terrible, btw.

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij
I feel for Superman fans out there. There's absolutely no reason to include Original cut and not original soundtrack.

Make me a little happier though since I cancelled my pre-order of the box a couple of weeks ago.

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
Myself and a few others at the dvd forums have now received the R1 Ultimate Collection, from at least 3 different etailers, and we've all got the old Superman III discs. Warners have screwed up big time.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
It is hard to imagine how these things happen in the manufacturing process, but they do. And, unfortunately, with packages of this type, they happen more often than they should. (Look no further than the recent Beatles - Capitol Albums Volume 2 set.) In this instance, though, Warner has a double-whammy on its hands since they have been promoting and pre-selling "The ULTIMATE Collector's Edition" complete with a long list of promised disc features. It is now painfully obvious that in its current form, this new set is nowhere near ultimate, nor does it even contain all of the key features clearly listed on its outside packaging.

Warner has a "good faith" obligation to deliver to customers of this set everything they claimed the collection would contain. Anything less could be construed as false advertising on their part and I think the last thing WHV wants out of this deal is a potentially damaging class action lawsuit.

The good news is that in the past, WHV has demonstrated a commitment to correcting mistakes of this type by offering disc replacements. I am optimistic that will be the case here. Is it an inconvenience? You bet. Is it a deal breaker? Well, for me, the answer is NO. But, as always, YMMV.

In the end, Warner is delivering a 14-disc set (including TWO "brand new to DVD" feature-length films, plus the complete Fleischer cartoon collection and a whole slew of other rarities from the Superman archives) that will be readily available at retail next week for $70 or less.

Before we fly off into panic mode, I say, give Warner a chance to assess the sitation and the opportunity to react.

Personally, I konw I will find much to watch and enjoy over the next several weeks while I await the arrival of replacement discs to complete my set as WHV does deliver on its promise of the "ultimate" collector's edition...

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
This is disappointing, but I will still get this, since the only dvd I've owned is the first one. Like Gary said, there is much to enjoy, and I'm hoping WB will fix this situation as quickly as possible.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Oh no...

Don't you guys see?

This really saves their butts. People will be so busy complaining about the wrong superman 3 and Warner will OBVIOUSLY be replacing those and so many will be so busy patting them on the back for giving us the Superman 3 we will have paid for and had to wait for that the original soundtrack issue will be completely buried.
Give Warner a break, after all they just finished doing their best to make sure everyone gets their proper Superman 3.

Of course they did not do this on purpose but definately smart enought to use this still appear as the company that delivers on their promise despite not doing so completely.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
We'll see, Rolando. I actually think the S3 screw-up might help our situation. Now instead of "a minor audio error", we've got "two faulty discs": a problem which I'm sure all the major Superman and DVD sites will complain loudly about as we get closer to release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks