What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Carter,
I couldn't agree with you more. I was one of those who had a VERY HARD TIME getting used to the 2001 re-mix. To simply add a 2.0 version of it to the theatrical cut is a waste of money in my opinion. I grew to accept the 2001 cut as it was with the changes in sound effects. But it's just wrong (and a waste of money and time) to bother to re-issue the theatrical version
with the 2001 mix. The scenes Donner added in five years ago worked.

As I said, I'll buy the Donner S2 cut and rent the rest.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I have never, ever cared about new mixes versus originals. Except for this movie. The new one is just really different.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

Where did you confirm this, John? I believe you, but I just want to see it with my own eyes before I get anymore worked-up about this than I already am.

Anyway, I don't know how Warner can possibly justify this as anything other than a mistake. Most of us have the original 2.0 track in our homes - just not on this DVD. Maybe they'll offer an exchange program or something. Ridiculous...

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
I agree, this movie meant a lot to me. I saw it in 70MM every saturday it was out, heard the split surrounds and all. I think I was affected negatively by the 2001 remix because it was a genuine "change" from the original with elements "replaced" rather than original source materials remixed from mono or stereo to DD 5.1.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
was it advertised to include the original audio?
can someone provide any picture of it ?

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Demis,
Check out the transcript of the original press release at
www.supermancinema.co.uk-click on DVD 2006 and there will be a link, or paste this below.

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/dail...ase-oct6th.asp

I was not able to take a picture of the Ultimate tin, but the words "original
1978 stereo surround) were on the carded flap surrounding the tin on the bottom. If I get the chance to take a pic in the next day or two I will.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Dharmesh,
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all you have done for the sake of these films, especially the Donner cut. :) STM was an important part of my childhood and I credit it for my love of movies in the first place.
I really hope that Warner honored Michael Thau's insistence.
They SHOULD and if there was an oversight, I hope they will offer a replacement disc.
Please let us all know on your site your opinion of these discs when you have viewed them. Warner should have offered you a copy after all you have done!
If I manage get over to England next year, I would enjoy meeting you!
Cheers,
ERICKA

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
I received an e-mail from a person who has the R1 disc. I'll guess until next Tuesday you'll just have to take my word.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Carter,
I believe you. I just don't WANT to! I really thought that Warner had pulled out all the stops on this one. I took it as a "given". And what we have
other than the Donner cut, is a re-packaging of the films already released and the theatrical cut with the eight minutes of footage taken out with a replaced sound mix. And some extras that after much reflection I can truly live WITHOUT.

I'm sorry, but there are better dvd's to spend my hard earned $$'s on.
I truly believe Warner should make good on this, and replace the discs if necessary.
ERICKA

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Here is the quote from Warner Brothers, from the Home Theater Forum chat in February, "Work is ongoing on the Superman set. More will be revealed in months ahead. Trust that we know what the fans want, and we really want to deliver the goods."

I certainly don't trust them anymore.

I found that here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/chat/warner06.txt

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
John,
That is what really stinks, I read the HTF forum chat too, and I truly believed we were getting what we wanted. It didn't seem impossible. Like I said earlier, all of the new BOND dvd's have the original sound (mono or otherwise) included. There is NO excuse for Warner to not do the same with STM.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
I'm still eager to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about who's actually popped in the disc and heard the 2.0 Surround track with their own ears. This may already be John or Dharmesh - have you guys had a chance to test the DVD for yourselves?

I'll have my own ultimate tin before I go to sleep tonight, with any luck, and I'll post my findings here.

If it really says "Original 1978 Stereo Surround Track" on the packaging of the ultimate tin, and it's not there, I don't know how Warner can *not* offer an exchange program.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

oops, just saw this after making my last post. Well, this is bad news. Thanks for letting me know.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

If this is true I'll stick with my current S1 and S2 discs. Didn't really want S3 or S4 anyway, but I do want the 2-disc Superman Returns and the Donner Cut.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Adam,
When you get your Ultimate tin, please check the theatrical cut out and post your findings here.
Much appreciated,
ERICKA

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well this truly is distressing, if all of Warner's budget went into restoring Superman II DC preventing new transfers (which I doubt considering the color disperancies between versions of Superman II) then I'd be more forgiving but this???

We need to get Michael Thau's response then hopefully a recall.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter

Guess you didn't see the IGN Film Force interview with Donner from 2001 when the original DVD with the new mix first came out. Here's the pertinent excerpt...

IGNFF: There have been numerous reports of sounds that people remember well being completely different in this new mix, from the rings rotating around the Kryptonian criminals to the searing sounds of the title sequence…
DONNER: Do you mean different sounds, or they were enhanced?
IGNFF: Different sounds…
DONNER: That doesn’t make sense. I know we enhanced the sound, but I don’t think we added any. I, quite honestly, did not hear the final mix. I heard the three run-throughs, and all we did was enhance sound.
IGNFF: People claim the new sounds sound completely dissimilar from the originals...
DONNER: God almighty.
IGNFF: Of course, in cleaning up the sound, it could be that people are confusing clean sound with new sound...
DONNER: That they could have been brought through...Or they were re-emphasized.
IGNFF: That's the only concerns I've heard – everyone enjoys the picture quality, but are disappointed by the remix. Sorry for bringing the points up.
DONNER: I'm glad you did this, so I'm not being blind-sided after this.

I found that interview here: http://movies.ign.com/articles/057/057536p2.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks