What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Clive Barker's Nightbreed The Director's Cut Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Jesus."Yes, some people are "audiophiles" who cherish the great sound. Some people even believe that the audio is as important as the image. Some people also believe that the audio should be "restored" for the future generations, since it's available (and not lost). So yes, those people are not fully happy that they're using audio from the VHS-tapes.But hey, if those views/comments are in the feared "jesus" category then I guess people just have to suck it up. They probably don't want to upset the "true fans".

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My amazon pre-order for the limited edition also says "not yet shipped" even though when I first pre-ordered it, it was listed as "pre-ordered." Also the LE no longer shows up on amazon when you search for it and there is no longer a product page for it even if you try to click on the title from your order summary page.Does this mean amazon's stock has already sold out? Did I get my pre-order in on time? What the heck?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Jari K said:
"Jesus."Yes, some people are "audiophiles" who cherish the great sound. Some people even believe that the audio is as important as the image. Some people also believe that the audio should be "restored" for the future generations, since it's available (and not lost). So yes, those people are not fully happy that they're using audio from the VHS-tapes.But hey, if those views/comments are in the feared "jesus" category then I guess people just have to suck it up. They probably don't want to upset the "true fans".
Jari, have you ever heard live on-set sound recordings? It's really not always that great. I'm willing to wait and see/hear it when it's ready. I have my doubts that Clive would be ok with using the Cabal Cut audio if it was that bad. He's very involved with this, it's being worked on in his office.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Allred said:
My amazon pre-order for the limited edition also says "not yet shipped" even though when I first pre-ordered it, it was listed as "pre-ordered."
I don't know the answer to any of your questions but I've got the same "Not Yet Shipped" on my Nightbreed order that you've got so it's not just your order.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
TravisR said:
It was already suggested earlier in the thread but what kind of incentives could a movie that isn't in production have in order to come anywhere near $100,000?
Travis, the vast majority of Blu-ray projects funded by Kickstarter are--by definition--for films not in production. Look at something like Arrow's Walerian Borowczyk box set, or any of the numerous anime BD Kickstarter projects (I'm in the Bubblegum Crisis one, for example). If swag is absolutely necessary, then Shout! has various options, like other Scream Factory titles, posters, t-shirts with the artwork, credits on the restoration, etc. And again, the main point is the promise of getting something done with the audio material they have been granted access to.
Mark Cappelletty said:
Jesus. You know, most people would be overjoyed that we are, against all possible odds, getting the director's cut of a movie that fans have been wanting forever-- from the original materials, no less, which we never in a million years would think would happen. But I guess that's considered "coddling." So please, by all means, relish your self-righteous indignation while the rest of us enjoy the LE set.
I have no self-righteous indignation regarding this release. I am not a fan of the film, as I have never even seen it yet (mostly because of the issues regarding the cut material, I did not feel like seeing a compromised version), and I'm still keeping my LE pre-order from Shout! at this point.

I understand where you are coming from Mark, and the temptation is to thank Shout! for whatever they tell us they can manage. But they knew what they were getting into when they asked for film elements. If the audio material is really in such a mess that it would take dozens of people working months and months around the clock just to do anything with it, when Shout! can manage to re-scan boxes of film to reconstruct the video in a relatively short period of time, then Shout! need to prove that. They owe as much to fans of the film and to other buyers, as well.

At this point, what I am left to infer is that they are not even making the attempt to do anything with the audio materials they have gotten.
FoxyMulder said:
I would go with the kickstarter fund, raise public awareness on social media and forums and throw in some surfing lessons with Cameron Diaz, i'm sure they could get a few hundred thousand together to fix the audio and make a tidy profit, at least give it a go and if they don't raise enough money then sure go right ahead with what they already have for this release.
Exactly. Unfortunately, it seems that going to the fans for this release was never even considered, and with the timetable Shout! are providing this release (from official announcement to release date), any work with audio would seem impossible, Kickstarter or no, considering what Shout! have said. Unless of course, the release is delayed, which seems unlikely.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"At this point, what I am left to infer is that they are not even making the attempt to do anything with the audio materials they have gotten."Have to agree with you. They restore the film. With F. Audio is not really part of the package.Don't get me wrong, the set is pre-ordered. I mean two versions of the film and probably great set of extras (long retrospective documentary, pleeeease). But there's no icing on the cake.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
TravisR said:
I know Shout said that they were getting 2,500 copies about a week ago, did they ever say that they had more than that? If not, I'm guessing (and let me emphasize that it's a guess) that they got half of the 5,000 and the other half are going to retailers.
I believe that changed to 2,300 around the time it (briefly) went up on Amazon.com and there was speculation that Amazon probably needed a larger allotment to be willing to sell it.

The set it up for pre-order at various independent sites, like ImportCDs and Deep Discount, but I would not bet on them actually receiving stock.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
They just posted on Twitter that they upped the LE to 10,000. So it should be available to all who wanted.

I asked if that means the retail will come down, I don't expect an answer...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Russell G said:
They just posted on Twitter that they upped the LE to 10,000. So it should be available to all who wanted.

I asked if that means the retail will come down, I don't expect an answer...
I think they underestimated the appeal of this title, they should have restored the audio and sold even more.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bgart13 said:
I'm sure the audio would sell more copies... :rolleyes:
It's something to boast about to your customers, hey look we not only restored the video we restored the audio, i certainly care.

Instead of that we have a couldn't care less attitude going on, hey sell even more, make more profit and screw the audio.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bgart13 said:
Did I write anything about people not caring? Nope, sure didn't.
My whole point was, they are selling more, this gives them more funds, if they had taken more time they could have restored that audio, when i hear they are selling more that means it's more popular than they originally though, thus maybe they could have restored that audio because maybe funds would have permitted it if they had realized how popular the title was.

Then again i gotta ask how many sales are scammers trying to make a fast buck at inflated prices on Ebay.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Anyhow... maybe this will cool your nerves a bit. Someone wrote this post about the audio for the Cabal Cut. Take it for what it's worth:"No. The Audio (ADR, Foley and Soundtrack) was newly created from scratch independent of the final source for the new scenes.So in short: it's not the audio from the VHS tape, and it's not on-set audio from the 35mm trims.Barker and his team had that done before Shout got in on it."EDIT: It seem this description of the audio may indeed not be too far off from the truth, from what I may have heard since I posted it... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks