What's new

Steve Sansweet talks BD 6 film Star Wars and more (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Oliver_A I know about where they were stored because it is stated in the book Industrial Light and Magic: The Art of Special Effects. And restated in The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind The Original Film. ILM retains the negatives of every project they work on.

I never said there aren't sources that are better than the laserdisc transfer. I said that isn't typically how transfers are done. The Laserdiscs were likely created from a low con IP, which may or may not still exist.

Again I didn't say it was lost. It’s likely that the original cut could be recreated from the OCN. It's simply that the owner doesn't want to do that.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Umm, YOU were the one who started questioning the state of the source materials. The decision whether Lucasfilm WANTS to go this route isn't the end of the story, but a completely DIFFERENT story.

Fact is, THEY DID transfer parts of the original elements specifically for the 2006 DVD.

Edited by Oliver_A - 8/3/2009 at 01:00 am GMT
No I didn't say source materials, I said prints. Prints are not source materials except as a last resort. Of course they did. The OCN was used for the special edition, so its obviously in good enough shape to work with.

Doug

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

No I didn't say source materials, I said prints. Prints are not source materials except as a last resort. Of course they did. The OCN was used for the special edition, so its obviously in good enough shape to work with.

Doug
If prints are source materials as a last resort, then they ARE source materials. What we are discussing here is the worst case, namely that everything is gone, and that theatrical prints are the best sources left for a transfer. Actually, I don't believe for one second that this is actually true.

If they want something to be resurrected, they CAN do it, as being proved by he 2006 DVD.

I don't even request a restoration for the original films. Just a transfer from the best surviving elements they have in their vault. Grainy shots during optical composites? No problem, don't bother with this. Just the original trilogy preserved as authentically to its original presentation as possible. That's exactly what high definition formats were made for.

You could even make a cool featurette out of it, explaining how the original effects were done and how they compare with the cgi shots. Perhaps make it a featurete about the origin and evolution of special effects at ILM. SO MANY opportunities have been wasted with the 2004 release, there are lots of possibilities for interesting extras for an upcoming Blu Ray release.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Oliver_A

If prints are source materials as a last resort, then they ARE source materials. What we are discussing here is the worst case, namely that everything is gone, and that theatrical prints are the best sources left for a transfer. Actually, I don't believe for one second that this is actually true. If they want something to be resurrected, they CAN do it, as being proved by he 2006 DVD.

I don't even request a restoration for the original films. Just a transfer from the best surviving elements they have in their vault. Grainy shots during optical composites? No problem, don't bother with this. Just the original trilogy preserved as authentically to its original presentation as possible. That's exactly what high definition formats were made for.
I have no doubt that the original could be constructed from the OCN. The thing is you seem to be looking for a reason to say to Lucas, "There isn't an excuse anymore, you can release the originals". Well he doesn't need an excuse. He just doesn't want to.

I suspect you'll have to be satisfied with the laserdisc transfers, at least until Lucas dies and someone else gains control of the films.

Doug

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

All I would like to see for Star Wars on Blu Ray are the same standards than Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Bladerunner.

Edited by Oliver_A - 8/3/2009 at 02:02 am GMT

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Oliver_A

As I said before, I don't need a restoration from the OCN. A transfer from the best surviving elements would be fully okay with me. With grain and everything.
I am still puzzled by your motivation to speak for Mr. Lucas in this thread.

If Lucasfilm doesn't need an excuse for not releasing the original films then they should just STOP MAKING ridiculous excuses. Just be honest and say: no, we don't want you to have the original versions. Because because.
I'm not speaking for anyone but myself. However the paranoia surrounding Star Wars gets old after a while.

I believe Lucas has stated repeatedly that the Special Editions are THE versions of the film. If he chooses to further refine them so be it. Personally I'd like to see him upgrade Jabba in A New Hope. He still looks like crap.

I would not say never, just that its unlikely.

Doug

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

I believe Lucas has stated repeatedly that the Special Editions are THE versions of the film. If he chooses to further refine them so be it. Personally I'd like to see him upgrade Jabba in A New Hope. He still looks like crap.
The best thing to deal with this situation was on the Bladerunner 5 disc set. Every version had an introduction by Ridley Scott, where he states his opinion on every cut. They could do it the same way.

Film start: "Hello folks, this is George Lucas. The films you are about to see are NOT my preferred versions. However, we have realized that lots of fans like them for nostalgic reasons, so we have included them. See what YOU think!"

Face saved, everything is ok, all Star Wars fans are happy and can finally enjoy them together again. World peace breaks out, the financial crisis is gone, a cure for cancer has been found...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Oliver_A ">[/url]

Star Wars fans are happy and can finally enjoy them together again. World peace breaks out, the financial crisis is gone, a cure for cancer has been found...
[/QUOTE]I think world peace, financial stability and a cure for cancer are more likely than happy Star Wars fans.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I, for one, am glad to see Sansweet talking about the original making of- documentaries getting a release someday. There are at least four that are quite good: 1977's Making of Star Wars, 1980's SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back, 1983's Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi, and 1984's From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making of a Saga. All saw release on home video in the VHS age, but never on DVD.

BTW, Lucasfilm should take note that similar releases exist for Raiders and the Indy films, including The Making of Raiders, and Great Movie Stunts.

All of these have interviews with the cast and crew and are narrated by one of the principles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tony Whalen

Well if you turkeys wait a few YEARS, I'm guessing your market penetration before streaming is going to get increasingly smaller.

Jeezuz.... this ain't rocket science... is it?
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was mentioned by RAH himself that he essentially has a standing offer to Lucasfilm to work his magic on the Star Wars OT. The fact that he hasn't been taken up on this tells me that Lucas simply doesn't want this to happen. Too bad, considering the amazing job RAH did on The Godfather Trilogy. Could you imagine an OOT with nearly that quality on BD?

This does sadden me, as I just recently re-watched The Empire Strikes Back SE and the missing "Bring my shuttle" line really took me out of the movie. One of my favorite lines of the trilogy, delivered brilliantly by Jones (conveying the pissed-off'edness of Vader in three simple, terse words), tossed aside so that Lucas could use the new line to preface the new Tiderian Shuttle scene he animated. Should have left well enough alone as the original line would have done just fine.
[/end circular argument]

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]

I think world peace, financial stability and a cure for cancer are more likely than happy Star Wars fans.

Any other series we can have a conversation about what we'd like to see in a home video release without getting lectured by true believers. You like it, good for you. Some of us sinners haven't seen the light and just want some old movies to come out in a nice presentation. Pretend we're talking about about wanting a good transfer for The Black Hole and spare the lecture.
I agree. Why isn't there anybody in "The African Queen" thread screaming- [i]"Get over it! African Queen is NEVER coming out on DVD because the studio doesn't want it to! Didn't you stupid people record it off TCM last month?! Geez- you people will NEVER be happy! Can't you just learn to love your Chinese bootlegs and [b]BE HAPPY[/b]?!"

[/i]Now, is there any possibility that we can get back on track with this thread, and civilly discuss a future Blu-Ray release of the SW Trilogy & what we'd ideally like to see it contain (including, but not limited to, various versions of the film)???

Edited by MielR - 8/4/2009 at 05:35 am GMT

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Originally Posted by MielR /forum/thread/291048/steve-sansweet-talks-bd-6-film-star-wars-and-more/60#post_3592328

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MielR

Why do you think that? All I want is the 1977, 1980 and 1983 versions of the Star Wars films in some sort of anamorphic digital format. Is that REALLY unreasonable, Travis?
Not in the least and I'd love to see the same thing. I just think that there's a sad element of the Star Wars fanbase that have turned the movies into some kind of a burden in their lives to the point of where if they didn't have anything to complain about, they wouldn't have anything to say about them.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by TravisR

there's a sad element of the Star Wars fanbase that have turned the movies into some kind of a burden in their lives to the point of where if they didn't have anything to complain about, they wouldn't have anything to say about them.
You really should distinguish between Star Wars fans and their various beefs and plain movie fans who just want to see 3 old movies get a proper transfer. This forum isn't a Star Wars club.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Alex cosmo

You really should distinguish between Star Wars fans and their various beefs and plain movie fans who just want to see 3 old movies get a proper transfer. This forum isn't a Star Wars club.
What's the difference? If you're a fan of the Star Wars films I think you're automatically a part of the SW fanbase. It makes no sense to say you like the films, but you're only a movie fan and not a SW fan.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

Not in the least and I'd love to see the same thing. I just think that there's a sad element of the Star Wars fanbase that have turned the movies into some kind of a burden in their lives to the point of where if they didn't have anything to complain about, they wouldn't have anything to say about them.
The problem is that the treatment of the original versions by Lucasfilm basically split the fanbase and created lots of bad blood. It's frustrating for most Star Wars fans to see that with any other film, where multiple versions exist, they just included them into the same set, in most cases with no or hardly noticeable differences in picture and sound between the different versions. Even in the case of films which did not do well at the box-office (like Legend).

For me, it's hardly any "burden", just a huge annoyance every time those 3 films are getting a new home video release. I was equally annoyed when E.T. was re-released in theaters with those cgi changes. But Universal did the right thing and released BOTH versions on DVD, so there is no need to bitch. I payed the extra money to own the original version in very good picture quality (plus a nice additional documentary on the third disc) and everything is okay.

I agree that all those personal attacks on George Lucas are rather childish. However, I stand by my opinion that he most probably doesn't like the first three films very much and that this is the reason why the DVD release left a lot to be desired. On the other hand, the THX 1138 DVD was done with much more care, you can feel that this film is much closer to his heart, though, again, he could not bring himself to release it without further changes. It's not Lucas bashing, but just an observation I would have done with any other filmmaker.

I just want to have a choice to see the films the way I did when I was a kid. Plus, I genrally detest the attempt to "modernize" old films, not only Star Wars. I think films don't need "fixing", they are what they are, deeply linked to the time period they were made in. Again, if Star Wars would have been made in 1997, it would have been a COMPLETELY different film.

If someone has a different opinion and likes the changes, perfect. But what we need here is a bit more tolerance towards other people's tastes. And I don't see anything wrong with being upset about not being able to purchase the original versions in good qualiy.

It's like someone decides that chocolate and vanilla ice cream won't be produced anymore, and the only flavour still available is strawberry, because that's the favorite flavour of the only ice cream producer in the world. What do I do when I hate strawberry? Do you think that arguing with me or patronizing me will change that?

It's exactly the same with this idiotic policy of denying fans the original versions, although there is obviously a demand. It makes absolutely no sense. I think Lucasfilm should just start to listen to their fanbase, and catch up with other studios and filmmakers, which apparently do know much better how to please their fans.

So, nothing personal against others here. But I am just sick of legitimating my wish of having the original version in good quality to other Star Wars fans.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Alex cosmo

I specifically said that I was talking about an "element of the Star Wars fanbase" so that does distinguish between the two. Or at least, it does in my mind.

I said it before but once again, I think the people asking for an edge enhancement-less transfer on The Phantom Menace or the audio in the proper surround channels on A New Hope or the original original trilogy are more than reasonable in their requests.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

I said it before but once again, I think the people asking for an edge enhancement-less transfer on The Phantom Menace or the audio in the proper surround channels on A New Hope or the original original trilogy are more than reasonable in their requests.
The problem is, you do not realize that it's not up to you to decide for others what requests are "reasonable" and "not reasonable". Is it unreasonable that fans just want the original versions commercially available in good quality? I mean, we are not even talking about prices, I would GLADLY pay the extra money for such a thing. And please, don't come with "oh, but it's financially not feasible". BS. Just look at releases of other, commercially much less succesful films.

Show a bit more tolerance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks