What's new

stereo recievers to power ht? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I have several old stereo recievers. I was thinking instead of buying a HT reciever, I could just get a pre/pro and have one stereo reciever amp the mains, one the center and one the rears. My reason for this would be getting louder sound. I notice when watching a movie on an HT reciever it all sounds loud as a whole, but when I go stand right ear up to one of the mains, there really isn't that much volume coming out of them. If anyone could list some pros and cons of creating a setup such as this that would be great.
One more question. In a stereo reciever, are there 2 separate amps to run the left and right. I ask because in the case of running a center channel off one of these recievers, would I get more power from just running just one left or right to the speaker or put speaker wire from both left and right outputs on the reciever?

thanks

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
If you're planning to to that it's possible. However the AV amp input will go through another pre-amp, ideally you'll want poweramps or av amps with direct gain input. So the only pre-amp in the system is your primary master controller (AV pre-amp or single AV amp at the heart of the system)

You're saying each speaker isn't loud- you calibrate the level and that's it. If one speaker is low it's supposed to be like that, if not each speaker will be out of calibration. If it's generally too low just increase the master volume (for all channels)

You won't get more power using one channel only to one speaker. And I don't advise plugging in left & right outputs into a single speaker as you'll blow the amp- UNLESS you plan to bi-amp? Use left channel on bass, right channel on treble (bi-amping) that's OK- I do that myself with a 2 channel amp bi-amping my centre.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
For what you would be spending on a decent pre-amp you could get a very nice av-receiver.

I wouldnt do it. All receivers have there own sound, and using a different one to power your mains and your center is imo, not ideal.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Really what you're suggesting is really no different than using standalone amps with a pre/pro the only difference is that when you use a receiver it has it's own pre-amp built-in and from the prospective of purity may add it's own tone/noise to it. Don't forget you don't have to use every amp channel availible so for the center just use one channel and don't worry about it and if you really want to use the other channel then do a diy sub and have even more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks